What's new

new iPhone 5 user, coming from android...texting sucks

Monkehx

Reaction score
Please, bare with me. I love the iPhone5. It's super intuitive, siri's a badass. And who can't love the app store. I just can't get over the texting. It has got to be the most cumbersome part of the iPhone5. Having to input every individual letter is a joke nowadays. Seriously no Swype? Or atleast an alternative? Which is why I'm here. I'm new to the iPhone is there anything that can make the texting just a little bit more tolerable? I know about the apps that you can swype then copy it over to a text, but seriously, how far does one have to go to do the simplest of things? Seems very redundant. Thanks in advance for any input guys. Nice to meet you all and feeling great about joining the iPhone family. btw I'm running 6.1.4 so jailbreak isout of the question.

I'm afraid there is no other alternative for you - either use the stock keyboard to create your texts or another keyboard app (then copy/paste). It's the way it is...

Hopefully, once iOS 7 is released, the jail breaking community will have/release a jail break for the new iOS. Because there are some tweaks you can use to input text (swiping being one of them).

But, I'm afraid that, for now, it is what it is.

Marilyn

Please, bare with me. I love the iPhone5. It's super intuitive, siri's a badass. And who can't love the app store. I just can't get over the texting. It has got to be the most cumbersome part of the iPhone5. Having to input every individual letter is a joke nowadays. Seriously no Swype? Or atleast an alternative? Which is why I'm here. I'm new to the iPhone is there anything that can make the texting just a little bit more tolerable? I know about the apps that you can swype then copy it over to a text, but seriously, how far does one have to go to do the simplest of things? Seems very redundant. Thanks in advance for any input guys. Nice to meet you all and feeling great about joining the iPhone family. btw I'm running 6.1.4 so jailbreak isout of the question.

Is your i5 jail broke?

Lol ... Been there >and< ... still doing it !

I purchased my iPhone 5 on April Fools day and I still think I am the fool...

The lack of any alternative keyboards is by far my biggest complaint ...There are others however. So I honestly can say however that I so not love this phone...

Maybe in time I will learn to at least like it...

BUT if I had to do it allover again at this point >>> I'd.. get another Android in a heart beat

Bob G

have you tried dictating a message with Siri? also you can
4. Skip Siri, but use speech-to-text.
In my experience, it is not easy to go through the entire process of sending a text message via Siri. It's frustrating, time-consuming, and has a (non-scientific) 50 percent failure rate. (To be fair, you can make Siri more efficient with some configurations.)
A more useful feature is speech-to-text within the Messages app. So, you do the work of selecting the recipient, but instead of typing your message, you speak it.

Go to a message thread and tap the text field. Then tap the microphone icon by the space bar, wait a beat, and begin speaking your message.
source: Cnet

IP5 is the first phone I used speak txt on and it works really well. 90% of the time it gets it correct and when it gets a word wrong, ushully it offers it when you tap that word. Siri txt was never to hard to do either. Just a few step process to do it. I've been wanting a stock IP5 keyboard with just another row with arrow buttons to move the cursor through the writing. I also noticed as you get more aquatinted with the phone you can type supper fast and it autocorrects pretty well.

Last edited:
Speech to text is cool. Only problem is, let's say you want to say something a little discreet to your significant other? Imagine having to say,...edited....in the workplace. And then having it displayed on screen as "Eye candy newlywed when I gnome." So then you have to repeat it, and by then you're just a creep in the office. Any other tips/tricks? Thanks for your input guys. Btw I went to the Apple store yesterday and asked them to downgrade my firmware, they pretty much told me they don't have the resources to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmmm I left android because of the texting and terrible keyboards. There were other reasons but it was one of them. I type very fast on my iphone vs any android device I have owned.

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk HD

Damn all powerful and mighty truth seeker. You scary. Truthseeker is clearly the hero iPhone forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Maybe one day he'll fix our texting.

Last edited by a moderator:
None jailbroke. Can try flesky or touchpal free in App Store. Can use and has the feature to send text or email. Jailbroke you have iswipe, ikeywi and octopus

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Worried about the discreet sexts to the wifey while at work? Really? You can't just type those ones out or step out of the office and leave her a voicemail?

I hate this world sometimes.

Worried about the discreet sexts to the wifey while at work? Really? You can't just type those ones out or step out of the office and leave her a voicemail?

I hate this world sometimes.
It was an example buddy. No need to be hateful.