What's new

"Never Locked" - what does this mean?

spb

Reaction score
"never locked" = "you can upgrade the firmware anytime and it will never lock back up"

I recently stumbled upon a person selling iPhone 4 and saying that it was "never locked" and that ^above^ was his explanation what it means. What does it actually mean? I thought that all iPhones are locked unless they are unlocked...

Is it the same as "can be used with other GSM carriers" kind of unlock?

either he got a locked phone and uses it with the correct carrier or its like mine and its factory unlocked and unlocked to use with any carrier and you can updated the iphones firmware with out it locking...

but then again if you use a locked phone but use the carrier its locked to then the same applies you can upgrade all the time.. so either one could apply for this guy

Thanks! I need a factory unlocked one so it could be used overseas with other carriers. Is there a way to see if a phone is factory unlocked without trying it with a SIM card from another carrier?

hmm all right. how about a regular, non-factory unlock? how can you tell without a SIM card from another carrier on the spot?

Go to settings > about > baseband of it's 2.10.04 or higher than it cant be unlocked by Ultrasnow. If its lower 1.xx.xx etc. go to into cydia and check to see if Ultrasnow is installed.

thanks for your help guys!