What's new

Need help with ringtones :-(

Suppose. I generally like to take out the part I want. Most songs are to quiet or boring at the beginning to use as ringtones. Suppose it saves me the trouble of cutting it off at the other end now :D

Suppose. I generally like to take out the part I want. Most songs are to quiet or boring at the beginning to use as ringtones. Suppose it saves me the trouble of cutting it off at the other end now :D

yeah thats another reason to need to trim it down so you can put the part of the song you like, what i do is make the song start from where i like it and leave the rest no matter how long or short the song is from there. or just add songs that start good

I am also a newbie when it comes to ring tones. I downloaded what I thought was a ring tone from iTunes. It's displayed in my library under recently purchased items. It looks like it's not in the correct format and it's over 30 seconds. I also do not see the ring tones tab anywhere on my iTunes. I have iTunes 5.0.1 How do I make the ring tone tab show up so I can sync (after I convert to the proper format of course).
Double click on your iPhone in the column on the left then on the top should be tabs.. One is a ringtones tab.

Last edited:
Candace said:
I am also a newbie when it comes to ring tones. I downloaded what I thought was a ring tone from iTunes. It's displayed in my library under recently purchased items. It looks like it's not in the correct format and it's over 30 seconds. I also do not see the ring tones tab anywhere on my iTunes. I have iTunes 5.0.1 How do I make the ring tone tab show up so I can sync (after I convert to the proper format of course).

Please do not post websites, refer to websites.

Upload your mp3, choose the 30sec bit you want, and it will convert it to the correct format and let you download it and you can then put it in your itunes library and on to your phone

For the ringtone tab to show in itunes you first need to put the rigtones in the library

Last edited by a moderator:
To put ringtones in your library, you need to go under the edit tab, preferences, and then general. check "tones".

OK- I finally had time to convert my song to a ringtone. thanks for the help. It's now showing up in my iTunes- BUT I am not seeing it on my phone- after the syncing process. Is there one last step I need to be doing? Thanks!

Candace said:
OK- I finally had time to convert my song to a ringtone. thanks for the help. It's now showing up in my iTunes- BUT I am not seeing it on my phone- after the syncing process. Is there one last step I need to be doing? Thanks!

You need to go to your phone in itunes and go to the TONES tab and click SYNC ALL RINGTONES and then sync

I tried that. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing it on my iPhone after syncing. Thanks.

Candace said:
I tried that. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing it on my iPhone after syncing. Thanks.

Are your ringtones in the tones section in the itunes library? And are they correct format? (m4r) and correct size (seconds wise)?

Yes, I do see them in iTunes in the correct format (m4r). The size is less than 30 seconds (22 to be exact). Thanks!

Still no answer from anyone? I guess I'll do some thread searches, see if anyone else has posted similar questions/ an answer.

Hey I had a similar problem but then I followed this YouTube tutorial and it worked. Let me dig it out

That's be great, thanks. I can't believe it's really the only thing with my iPhone and can't really figure out. When I had the Droid that's was one of the easiest things to set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't find it anymore :/
Try dragging the file to the iPhone tab in iTunes rather than syncing it. And this will sound stupid but did you scroll all the way down in your iPhone to check for the ringtone

Yes, I've tried both. Do you know if a good ringtone app that can easily set these for you instead of going though iTunes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk