What's new

Need help to access computer

cburnett565

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am not sure how to go about this. I have a computer that belonged to a relative who is no longer with us. Her computer has a password lock and I hoping to try to access this computer without wiping info or documents. We are hoping there are files in there we need and photos.

I really need to get some help. I tried calling google and no help. I am sure someone on here can give me some kind of input I hope.

Thanks in advance for any input.

You don't say if it's a Windows machine. If it is, you can remove the hard drive and put it into an external drive dock and access/copy the files using another computer. You'll be able to see the file structure and get to whatever you need. Assuming there is only one drive involved, the path would be Drive Letter:\Users\(windows profile name). The exception to this would be if the owner had used Windows BitLocker encryption to encrypt the files. In that case you're pretty much out of luck. Most people wouldn't be likely to do this, however. This may also work with Macs but I'm not familiar with them. Here's an example of the external dock:
Thermaltake USA Direct BlacX Urban 2.5"/3.5" Sata I/II/III USB 3.0 external Hard Drive Enclosure Docking Station 2.5" ST-004-D31U3U-A2:Amazon:Computers & Accessories

Last edited:
You don't say if it's a Windows machine. If it is, you can remove the hard drive and put it into an external drive dock and access/copy the files using another computer. You'll be able to see the file structure and get to whatever you need. Assuming there is only one drive involved, the path would be Drive Letter:\Users\(windows profile name). The exception to this would be if the owner had used Windows BitLocker encryption to encrypt the files. In that case you're pretty much out of luck. Most people wouldn't be likely to do this, however. This may also work with Macs but I'm not familiar with them. Here's an example of the external dock:
Thermaltake USA Direct BlacX Urban 2.5"/3.5" Sata I/II/III USB 3.0 external Hard Drive Enclosure Docking Station 2.5" ST-004-D31U3U-A2:Amazon:Computers & Accessories

Thank you so much for your reply. I am hoping to try your recommendations this weekend. It's a windows 8. My sister took her life and we are all left not understanding why. But we are all trying to cope with this loss. I am wondering if this would show her history of web searches as well. Again no really appreciate your input. I truly hope this gives us answers and to be able to grab the pictures of her system.