What's new

need help jailbreaking my iphone 3gs

It wouldn't matter. When jailbreaking with RedSn0w, it will hacktivate the device as well, meaning it will bypass the activation process. Leaving the SIM in or out would not affect the ability to jailbreak.

For the iPhone 3GS, you need the iPhone2,1_6.0 IPSW here.

No. RedSn0w was not updated for "true" support on any iOS 6 version above 6.0. If you want to jailbreak 6.0.1/6.1/6.1.2/6.1.3 for the pre-A5 devices, you must use the 6.0 IPSW. The main reason why it wasn't updated to truly support 6.0.1/6.1/6.1.2/6.1.3 is because they were all delta fixes, none of them posing a huge change to the original iOS 6.0, so there was no need to go through the hassle of implementing true support for those iOS. Traditionally, you would use an IPSW that matches the iOS that you're looking to jailbreak, i.e. 5.1.1 for 5.1.1, 5.0.1 for 5.0.1, etc etc. iOS 6.0.1 and above is the exception with RedSn0w.

However, if you would like to use the 6.1.3 IPSW, you can use Sn0wBreeze to create a custom jailbreak IPSW to restore with in iTunes.

willerz2 can you clarify some info for me what do i do after i complete step 13 do i follow the BOOTING TETHERED
Once you've jailbroken your iPhone 3GS or 4, you will need to Boot Tethered to be able to use your device.
Note: Every time you turn your device off or reboot your device, you will be required to Boot Tethered in order to gain full functionality of your device
part of the guide or leave it as is

You shouldn't need to boot tethered since you're on an untethered jailbreak. Cydia should be installed and you should have access to the springboard immediately without having to boot tethered

Sent from my iPad Mini via Tapa

ok i followed the guide but every time i try to get into dfu mode once the iphone restarts the windows xp add new hardware wizzard keeps poping up and redsnow says i did something wrong what do i do to fix this?

ok update i think my iphone is stuck on the downloading jailbreak data screen

oki new update after the phone got stuck at the greepois0n inistialized screen telling me it couldnt find certain files i was able to get into dfu mode to get back to my home screen im going to try the jailbreak on another pc feel free to post any suggestions you might have

You'll have to provide more info that how it couldn't find certain files. Make sure you're properly placed in DFU mode and that you first select the iOS 6.0 IPSW. Hardware driver retrieval is common on DFU devices because the driver needed to interact with the device in DFU mode is different from the one needed to transfer data to the device.

Take a screen capture of any errors and post them.

ok this is what the screen said before i was able to reboot into the home screen it said "Unable to find gBdevListUnable to find fs_mount
Unable to find fs_unmount
Unable to find fs_load _file
Greenpois0n initialized"

it was frozen after that and didnt do anything for 12 mins before i rebooted

willerz every time i put my iphone into dfu mode by turning it off then following the instructions in the guide my windows xp keeps telling me it found new hardware then redsnow tells me no device detected could that be what started or caused the problem

Put the device into DFU mode without initiating the instructions. You can place a device into DFU mode at any time, there is no requirement for RedSn0w. Place it into DFU mode, then on the initial screen when RedSn0w loads, it should say <Device Name> or iPhone 3GS followed by (DFU) or (DFU mode)

willerz what do i do if i put the phone into dfu mode and windows asks me to find or search for a driver for the unknown device

The driver should be installed automatically. The only time when you're asked to manually search for a driver is if iTunes is not installed or your USB driver is corrupted.

Sent from my iPad Mini via Tapa