What's new

Need help accessing email from mailbox folders when offline.

Archertina

Reaction score
Oddball question number 2.

Here's a scenario I have run into on several occasions and would love to find a solution for. For example, I'm in Spain right now on business. Since my iPhone account is local in Argentina, I tend to turn off the cell and data networks so as to not come across any big surprise international roaming charges (again!). So, in the morning, while I am at my hotel with WiFi signal, I take a look at my email on my iPhone. Let's say I find 50 email messages. As I look through them I end up trashing about 30 of them and the other 20 I carefully move to other mailbox folders that I have set up as a filing system within the Mail app. Let's say there is one important email that I move to my "USA" mailbox. Now my inbox is empty and I head out of the hotel and spend the rest of the day in areas without WiFi. During the course of the day, in one of my meetings I realize that I need to consult the important email that I received earlier that morning and filed in the "USA" mailbox. I go to the "USA" mailbox and.....the email isn't there! I just viewed it on my iPhone a couple of hours earlier but now I cannot access it. Even if I have my Email settings set to allow me to view the last 1000 recent messages, the email I need will not be there at that moment unless in the morning, I had remembered to take the extra step of actually clicking on the "USA" mailbox folder after I had moved the email there. It appears that only by clicking on the personalized mailbox folders will they go through the refresh procedure that brings in the latest emails that have been added since the last refresh.

Does this mean that if I actually download and read a bunch of email messages and then move them to their respective mailbox folders in the Mail app, I still have to go through and individually click on all the corresponding mailbox folders to be sure that they are all refreshed and updated, otherwise I will not be able to view those emails when I am offline?

This seems really strange. Is there any way to set the iPhone Mail app to automatically refresh the folder that gets an email moved to it? Seems like that should be the default, but I can't get it to work like that.

Any suggestions or workarounds would be a great help.

Thanks,

Archertina

In my experience mail that is moved to a custom folder aren't stored in an actual off line folder. They are stores on a server..and the mail in that folder will not load from a folder unless you are connected to the Internet in some way.