What's new

Need app that monitors app usage

kellerzoo

Reaction score
My dad has the newest iphone and was wanting an app that can tell him how much data each of his other apps use. We have been looking and can't find anything. Does anybody know of one??

Take a look at "Onavo" in the App store. It shrinks your data usage so you don't use as much data. As a bonus, it will also tell you how much data it shrinks for each installed and used app. Take a look at the screenshots on itunes and you can see if it's for you. It's free so it can't hurt.

As an aside, I had to disable my use as I think they were having server problems one day and I couldn't access the web. I couldn't figure it out as I had enough bars. I finally disabled Onavo, and then I was able to access the internet. I still think it's a good app to have ... when it works, it works well, and when it doesn't, you can disable it, then enable it at a later time. Even if you can only use it part of the month, it will still shrink some of your data use.

Take a look at "Onavo" in the App store. It shrinks your data usage so you don't use as much data. As a bonus, it will also tell you how much data it shrinks for each installed and used app. Take a look at the screenshots on itunes and you can see if it's for you. It's free so it can't hurt.

As an aside, I had to disable my use as I think they were having server problems one day and I couldn't access the web. I couldn't figure it out as I had enough bars. I finally disabled Onavo, and then I was able to access the internet. I still think it's a good app to have ... when it works, it works well, and when it doesn't, you can disable it, then enable it at a later time. Even if you can only use it part of the month, it will still shrink some of your data use.

This app is specific to at&t. Is there anything like it for Verizon?

Last edited:
Verizon has it's own app that can be downloaded and will show how much data has been used. Not by app, but total. It also allows full account management for that specific line (Phone number). How much data per app is really getting down to a whole new level micromanaging... One thing about some app like that is it would have to run in the background to do the monitoring and there are really, even in the Apple app department, very few, if any, apps that are full multitasking (TSR - Terminate and Stay Resident) that work. When an app gets "minimized" by hitting the home button, it takes a session shot of what was in memory so when you activate it again it picks up where it left off. Problem is, I havent seen any app work correctly this way other than iPod App for music.

Settings -> general -> usage
Not sure until my billing month ticks over but I believe you need to manually hit the reset counters button at the start of a billing month.

If you want daily usage then just reset the counter every day.
You won't find an app to track usage as apple do not allow 3rd party apps to run in the background.