What's new

nasty site has hijacked my safari on iphone 4 - help

errol.greer

Reaction score
I accidentally clicked OK for a pop-up and next thing a site http://the-lucky-winner.com came up saying
"Congratulations! You have qualified for a chance to win a New Apple iPad!" Click OK for details"

Naturally I did not click OK, but there is no way I can exit this message. All the icons to get out are dead (greyed out). Even if I switch off the iPhone completely, when it reboots, if I click on Safari there is this message. I tried to delete Safari but could not. If I try to go to Settings, Reset, Reset all settings or Erase all content and settings, it asks for a Restrictions Passcode, which I do not know. I thought I could try this and then recover everything from my iTunes backup on my PC.

Please help me to recover from this problem !!!!

Many thanks, Errol

i don't know if a hard reset would clear it but worth a try,hold down your home button and on/off button together until the apple appears,let go and your phone will reboot,let us know how it goes.

i don't know if a hard reset would clear it but worth a try,hold down your home button and on/off button together until the apple appears,let go and your phone will reboot,let us know how it goes.

No it didn't, BUT I set wifi to "OFF" then opened Safari. The site was still there but I was then able to close it. After clearing Safari coockies and history, Safari now seems to be OK. I have now also set "Block Pop-ups" to ON! Hope there is no further trouble from that site, but I do wonder if it has left some sort of link somewhere.

No it didn't, BUT I set wifi to "OFF" then opened Safari. The site was still there but I was then able to close it. After clearing Safari coockies and history, Safari now seems to be OK. I have now also set "Block Pop-ups" to ON! Hope there is no further trouble from that site, but I do wonder if it has left some sort of link somewhere.
that's good,you seem to have it sorted,i'll leave this open a while though just in case you need further help.