What's new

My secondhand Iphone 4S

peter4076

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've had my Iphone 3GS, since Noah built his ark, anyway purchased from a friend of a friend a fairly mint condition 4S, whilst waiting for my new sim card from my carrier (o2), I decided to update via wifi from 6.0.1 to 6.1, then whilst configuring it gave me the other persons sign in name (previous owner), but asked me for the password, which obviously I don't know.
My question is should I wait for my simcard to arrive?, connect to itunes and restore from my (Iphone 3GS back up)? or do a complete factory reset first & then restore!, your thoughts most appreciated.
ps. The friend of a friend is genuine.

Whenever you buy a device, whether if it's sealed or 2nd handed, it's recommended that you perform a restore on it. This is for your acknowledgment that everything on the device is new, and that you're starting fresh from the device. Even if you restore it now, you'll still be prompted for the initial setup, and you'll need an activate SIM of the original carrier of the device inserted in order for you to activate the device.

Friend of a friend!!!!!, might not be that genuine as first thought, apparently the previous owner of 4S, is now working on some oil platform somewhere in Asia, and with no contact, anyway what damage could a factory reset do to my 4S, my new micro simcard I am assured is winging it's way to me as I type this.

When you receive that SIM card, you can restore the iPhone to iOS 6.1.1 with iTunes. When prompted, elect to "restore as new." This will remove everything from the phone and it will be in a fresh from the store, straight out of the box condition.

It'll be a bit annoying, starting over from scratch, but it will guarantee that your phone will have all the info off it from the previous owner. And, it won't hurt to do the fresh restore. Again - it'll just make it as if you just bought it from the Apple Store.

Marilyn

Very much obliged for the input, nobody wants to be taken for a fool, but must admit the uncomfortable feeling of being done has been alleviated some what. 4.50pm here in the UK, and alas no simcard yet, so will have to wait until tomorrows post.