What's new

My personal training program

ardchoille

Reaction score
I have been asked about my personal training, so I'd like to post it here for anyone who is interested.

*** Disclaimer: The first step to any physical and/or diet program is to consult your physician ***

Note: I would like to mention that a program such as this requires a certain amount of dedication, discipline, will power, and patience. Self-improvement is a path, not a destination.

I'm 51 years old and have gone from weighing 275 U.S. Pounds years ago to weighing 140 U.S. Pounds today. Years ago I couldn't run 100 yards without becoming exhausted. Today I can run over three miles with little effort.

Diet is the key, no amount of exercise will fix a bad diet. My diet consists of fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, meat and water. The meat is from albacore tuna, salmon, halibut, and skinless white meat chicken/turkey - nothing else. I'm also using Muscle Milk protein powder once with my oatmeal breakfast and again after workouts. I despise junk food and I usually refuse to eat anything that I don't prepare myself.

My gym sessions at a local gym consist of a one to two mile jog on the treadmill, as a warmup, followed by weight training with 4 sets of 8 reps for each exercise. Gym sessions are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with rest on every other day of the week. My main goal is to build muscle.

Exercises - in this order:
Bicep curl
Tricep extension
Chest press
Calf raise
Incline row
Shoulder press
Shrug
Seated pulldown
Leg press
Push-ups
Crunches

Current health will affect your training, always consult a physician prior to beginning any training/diet program.
My blood pressure: 99/67
No allergies, no medications, and no medical problems.

I eat six meals per day and get about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. That sounds like a lot of protein but I've only gained 4 pounds in two months.

I don't experience any pain or problems and I go home from the gym feeling great. My friends have mentioned that my muscles are getting bigger, so it appears that I'm on the right track. I've also consulted with forums that specialize in fitness and have met no criticism.

I'm pushing 168lbs at the moment (at 8 reps), I need more weights soon to increase that
Yeah, I'm going to have to increase weight on my bicep curls soon. The last rep, of the last set, should always end in failure, in order to keep your muscles in a constant 'grow and improve' cycle (plateau avoidance), and my last rep is becoming easier lately.

The workouts seem to be having an effect :)

image.jpg

I've been running three miles ever day for the past two weeks. This is therapeutic, I feel so good after a run. And, it's not too bad for a man of 52 years of age :)

I've been running three miles ever day for the past two weeks. This is therapeutic, I feel so good after a run. And, it's not too bad for a man of 52 years of age :)
Quite a coincidence. I've been running three miles a day for the past two weeks and now I'm so lost I don't know if I'll ever find my way home. [emoji3]

Quite a coincidence. I've been running three miles a day for the past two weeks and now I'm so lost I don't know if I'll ever find my way home. [emoji3]
Hahahahaha. That was priceless!

Years ago I was all fat (275 lbs). Today (150 lbs) I see loads of improvement in my relaxed arms (delts, bicep, tricep, forearm). This is the first time I've ever actually SEEN muscles on this body. I didn't begin lifting weights until I was age 51. They told me I was too old to start.. now I'm proving them wrong!

20160915right-arm.jpg

Years ago I was all fat (275 lbs). Today (150 lbs) I see loads of improvement in my relaxed arms (delts, bicep, tricep, forearm). This is the first time I've ever actually SEEN muscles on this body. I didn't begin lifting weights until I was age 51. They told me I was too old to start.. now I'm proving them wrong!

View attachment 27764

I really like that