What's new

My last backup was in 2010? Don't think so.

jnaz112

Reaction score
So i lost my iPhone 4 last week. My friend gave me his old 3GS. I plugged it into my computer, and clicked restore. For some reason, my computer, which has not changed, says the last backup was in 2010 and proceeded to restore my phone to its 2010 settings. I know I have backed it up numerous times, specifically when ios5 came out. Why won't my computer/phone recognize that as it has in the past? Is it because 2010 is maybe the last restore I did with my iPhone 3GS, and it cannot restore 2012 because that was iphone4?

Sounds to me like you need to manually select to restore from the backup of you iPhone 4. We can do that right? LOL!

The problem is the date of the backup. Say the 3gs is on 4.1. The iPhone 4 was on 5.1.1. You cannot use a current 5.1.1 backup on a 4.1 3gs. You must update the 3gs to 5.1.1 and restore the backup

It can't be that you can't restore your most recent iOS backup which was belonging to your iPhone 4 into an old iPhone (say iPhone 3Gs). This should be possible, or at least what I know for certain is that I can restore my iPhone 4s recent backup into my iPhone 4 without worries, iTunes doesn't show up old backup available for the iPhone 4. Plus unless I'm missing out something, if you have made numerous backup on your iTunes, how comes there is still a 2010 backup in your iTunes? iTunes can only hold into its backup directory 5 backup, not more than that, doesn't matter what version of iPhones you are backing up into iTunes or how many iPhones you are connecting to iTunes. In your computer, go to User> User name> AppData> Roaming>Apple Computer> Mobile Sync> Backup/ and check out how many files you have there. Alternatively, you have the option to pull down the dialogue box of backup restore to chose from the available backup files. It will be surprising to know that you can't restore a newer iPhone backup files into an older iPhone. This is not the case of iPhone 4s backup files restoring to iPhone 4 anyway.

What ios is the 3gs on? (Settings>General>About>Version)
What ios was the 4 on?