What's new

Multi-address messages blocked/disappear

Hytec

Reaction score
I have an iPhone SE with IOS 12.1.2. Since installation of 12.1.2, I have been unable to send a message to two different phones, one an iPhone and the other a Samsung. I can send messages to the iPhone with no problem. But apparently my iPhone can't communicate with a Samsung for some reason.

Furthermore the iPhone does not receive a message if it contains the Samsung address.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to correct this issue because both phones are members of my family with whom I communicate often.

Found cause and solution of addressing issue. The cause involves text messaging cache.

Texting between only Apple products uses Apple's iMessage protocol which does not involve cache. However when a text message is addressed to even one non-Apple product, that text uses the older text messaging protocol which involves cache. Text message cache will fill up over time since it is not emptied, even when messages are deleted. When cache becomes full, subsequent messages that include non-Apple addresses, thus using the text message protocol, will be blocked due to lack of cache space.

Messages between only Apple products are identified by being blue when sent. Whereas messages that include one or more non-Apple product addresses are identified by being green.

The solution is to reboot the phone periodically which will clear cache. Once a month may be sufficient, though more frequently may be necessary depending on how many message are generated.

BTW, my comment regarding IOS 12.1.2 installation is irrelevant to this issue. It was coincidental that the issue occurred concurrent with the upgrade installation.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your information and solution :)