What's new

Moving Contacts

uprising95

Reaction score
hi

with the iphone 4 do you get an adapter to put in your old phone.
say a sony Ericsson or something to copy your contacts on then copy them to the iphone.

or is it a case of entering them manually?

Your best bet is to import them to windows outlook/contacts. Once there just sync.

thats were they are.
i have managed to sync them to my phone now.

every time i connect it to itunes though it re syncs everything.
if i was to delete them from windows will i lose them all together the next time i use itunes?

thats were they are.

if i was to delete them from windows will i lose them all together the next time i use itunes?

You can configure iTunes to only sync your contacts and not sync the other stuff like music, video, etc. I have mine setup to only sync music and apps, everything else I unchecked or disabled synchronizing. In iTunes, just click on the device and you'll see different tabs to enable/disable features.

Your best bet is to import them to windows outlook/contacts. Once there just sync.

So can I check Danny - you are pretty happy that iPhone 4 will sync with Microsoft Outlook simply by using iTunes?

I want to sync Calendar & Contacts, and this not working is kind of a deal breaker for me on whether I get an iPhone or not.

• No-one I know (or anyone at Apple retail stores) seem to be able to fully confirm that this works well.
  • I would prefer to do this directly rather than use an app or Google workaround - if possible.
  • I don't want to pay for MobileMe as the iPhone is significantly more expensive in the UK than any other phone (£220 h/set plus an extra £15/month for ins & data which I wouldn't need to pay for Android or MS phone - total £490 MORE than any other phone!)
HENCE I just want to check that this phone will do what I need before I look at it doing other cool stuff that I want - and before I fork out the additional hefty chunk of change.

I have seen loads of forum posts with issues (lost contacts etc) but would be great if anyone could confirm that they use it everyday without issue!

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

thats were they are.

when you unclick sync contacts it will as if you want to delete them say no and it wont sync anymore

Hi there,

Way back on my iphone 3G I got all my contacts out of my old Nokia N96 and into outlook using nokia's sync software

Once that was done I synced itunes with outlook to get them there.

More recently I've installed Google Calendar Sync on my PC and the iphone's native calendar and contacts sync both ways with a google account which in turn syncs both ways with outlook. All free and all working perfectly in both directions.

This also means that should anything (god forbid) ever happen to my iphone, or I want to make changes to my contacts which are done more easily with the benefit of a computer screen and full size keyboard it can be done by logging into the google account on any computer and there's a backup online of everything up to the last 15 minute sync!

I've even gone as far as setting up gmail in that google account and having it retrieve email from a number of other accounts (replies automatically go back to the sender from the account they emailed) to take advantage of gmail's excellent spam filtering and organisational options.

Highly recommend this - essentially its mobile me for free

So can I check Danny - you are pretty happy that iPhone 4 will sync with Microsoft Outlook simply by using iTunes?

I want to sync Calendar & Contacts, and this not working is kind of a deal breaker for me on whether I get an iPhone or not.

• No-one I know (or anyone at Apple retail stores) seem to be able to fully confirm that this works well.
  • I would prefer to do this directly rather than use an app or Google workaround - if possible.
  • I don't want to pay for MobileMe as the iPhone is significantly more expensive in the UK than any other phone (£220 h/set plus an extra £15/month for ins & data which I wouldn't need to pay for Android or MS phone - total £490 MORE than any other phone!)
HENCE I just want to check that this phone will do what I need before I look at it doing other cool stuff that I want - and before I fork out the additional hefty chunk of change.

I have seen loads of forum posts with issues (lost contacts etc) but would be great if anyone could confirm that they use it everyday without issue!

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

I use it & haven't had any problems.. The contacts are a bit tricky to get synced the first time but after it's been smooth sailing.

I use the free app "my.memova Contacts Sync for the iPhone" to put contacts in the cloud.

I use it & haven't had any problems.. The contacts are a bit tricky to get synced the first time but after it's been smooth sailing.

Thanks Danny - what are the issues initially? Anything I should be aware of to help it to work?

Great news on the smooth sailing since - how long have you been using it for now?

Again thanks - really appreciate you coming back to me.

You just havetoo be careful you choose to merge your data not replace.... I have been using it I suppose since I got my 3G a few years ago.

Oh great - merge would have been my choice (I think!) but good to know!!

The best part is that you seem to have been doing it for a long time. The fact that you have been using for more than one iPhone and possible even more than one computer (?) or even version of Windows/Outlook is giving me the info I really needed - it can definitely work!

I think I'm just gonna go ahead and order it today. 7 days to return if I'm not happy - but I get a feeling that if I did that I might be the first person in the world to return an iPhone 4 after getting their mitts on one!! ;-)

Thanks again - great help.

Thanks sridhar! Will bear that in mind as a fallback!

Thanks all!

Bit the bullet and went for the iPhone4.

As suggested by Dannyboy the sync'ing works a treat - no issues whatsoever - though obvioulsy early days. But from first set-up to now (5 days in) I have been adding contacts and calendar event on both devices (sometimes just to put it through it's paces & keep testing it) and iTunes syncs them perfectly everytime.

I'm a little surprised, but frankly at the minute it seems as good as activesync with Winmo (of which I have a lot of experience) so will see how I go with with it.

Thanks again!