What's new

Moving contacts to 4s

jbk5017

Reaction score
I had the original motorola droid and just got the 4s today. I have all my contacts saved to my gmail account. I followed the directions I found online as to how to add your gmail account to your phone and sync contacts. I now have my gmail account on my phone but still no contacts. Does anyone have any suggestions.

To add your contacts from Gmail to your iPhone you have to enable "Sync Contacts" in iTunes.

Go to Settings> Emails, contacts, calendars/ locate your Gmail account in the Email part, tap on your account to view the option, there you will see Mails, Notes, Contacts, Calendar. Turn "ON" Contacts. Close the setting app and open your contacts apps on your phone, up left is Group, tap on it to go back to groups, and there will be your gmail contacts group. Tap on it and it will start loading your contacts, it might take time to sync up depend on the amount of contacts you have and also depend on your internet connection speed. Good Luck.

Go to Settings> Emails, contacts, calendars/ locate your Gmail account in the Email part, tap on your account to view the option, there you will see Mails, Notes, Contacts, Calendar. Turn "ON" Contacts. Close the setting app and open your contacts apps on your phone, up left is Group, tap on it to go back to groups, and there will be your gmail contacts group. Tap on it and it will start loading your contacts, it might take time to sync up depend on the amount of contacts you have and also depend on your internet connection speed. Good Luck.
Very interesting bab... didn't know you could do it that way. Will that continue to update your contacts into your email account as you change them on your phone?

Very interesting bab... didn't know you could do it that way. Will that continue to update your contacts into your email account as you change them on your phone?
yeah it will auto sync any changes you make to any contacts which is belonging to that gmail account. You can also add new contacts, just make sure that the contact group selected if gmail contacts.

I only see Mail/Calendars/Notes. I don't have an option to turn on Contacts. Any suggestions? I tried using Back-Up Assistant with Verizon and it transferred a whopping 7 contacts! So I'm hoping I can get my gmail contacts to sync.

Edit: I clicked on iCloud and found the gmail account with the setting for Contacts and synced it there. Hope that was the right place. I wasn't planning on using the iCloud but I guess I am now!