What's new

more than one custom ringtone?

Google 'Copy Trans' on your PC - it's a free replacement for iTunes. Works great. Unchecked the box in iTunes to sync music and ringtones - use iTunes only to sync contacts. Easiest way for me.

Thanks Bluering. Glad am not only one with this problem. Obviously we can create and transfer file so I don't think we are doing things wrong so why can nobody explain the mystery

Here are my steps
I chose any song in my music folder, open in sound editor, clip the bit that I want, save it as m4a on my desktop, change m4a to m4r, drag in ringtones folder in itunes, tick the sync ringtones and apply the changes.

Last edited:
Thanks Bluering. Glad am not only one with this problem. Obviously we can create and transfer file so I don't think we are doing things wrong so why can nobody explain the mystery

Here are my steps
I chose any song in my music folder, open in sound editor, clip the bit that I want, save it as m4a on my desktop, change m4a to m4r, drag in ringtones folder in itunes, tick the sync ringtones and apply the changes.

he said he knew how to sync and convert the mp3s i thought thats what he was doing all this time? convert rename and upload then sync. in the ringtone tab and as long as they are under 30 seconds

thats right Paliometoxo. I did say i knew how to sync and convert to m4r and to get either of the two ringtones i want on to the phone. But even after following the notes above it is still either one or the other. I can get both to work as ringtones on the phone

maybe try instead of sync al ringtones press select ringtones and tick them all?

unclick sync and see if you can drap it to the phone from the ringtones library manually, if you can then something is wrong with the file

Thanks yes that worked. i now have both tones on the phone

maybe try instead of sync al ringtones press select ringtones and tick them all?

That's exactly what I was about to say, I was able to do it only after I have press "Selected Ringtones" and tick all of them.
Before I was in the same predicament as the OP

I created 7 ringtones and successfully dragged them into the Ringtone folder, but on my phone I am only given 2 choices of custom rintones plus the one that I purchased. If I drag a different ringtone to the bottom of the folder, that ringtone will come up as an option on my phone, but still only 2 appear at a time. The files are all fine or they would not play if in a different order. :confused:

I created 7 ringtones and successfully dragged them into the Ringtone folder, but on my phone I am only given 2 choices of custom rintones plus the one that I purchased. If I drag a different ringtone to the bottom of the folder, that ringtone will come up as an option on my phone, but still only 2 appear at a time. The files are all fine or they would not play if in a different order. :confused:

thats so weird i cant think why your iphone does that, i have about 20 custom ringtones i uploaded via ssh so they are all in one place no extra custom ringtone part and i deleted loads of the ones that came with the iphone...

i will tell you how i did it and you tell me if you do anything differently..

Firstly if i want to download a youtube song and i dont know the name of it to go dl the mp3 from itunes or where ever i use ItubeX and dl the video as mp3 format and i use a free tool audioEditor on the mac to convert to aac and then from .m4a i rename it to .m4r..

the first part obviously can be done with itunes with any mp3 and then the same with renaming and then via SSH upload them all the the ringtones folder then they show up on the phone..

OR you can select the ringtone tab in itunes and add them to library then sync with iphone, but through itunes they have to be under 30 seconds the songs..

if you done it correctly all custom ringtones will show

OR you can select the ringtone tab in itunes and add them to library then sync with iphone, but through itunes they have to be under 30 seconds the songs..

if you done it correctly all custom ringtones will show

The above route is the way I went. First I used the free app Ringtone Maker (which does a decent job with the fading but only does 20 sec so you have to be careful to cut off the leadin crap), then I synced with itunes. The tunes are definitely in the right format and the right folder. If I reverse the order they all work.

Maybe the difference is that you deleted the unwanted tunes that came with the phone. That may have freed up more space? (I have to admit, I do like the dog bark for my vet's calls. :))

if your on a mac i can show you a better free tool to cut down mp3s to 30 seconds exactly and convert to aac....

Here are my steps

This is basically the way I do it only you can clip the song directly in iTunes and save as an m4a. Then just change the extension to m4r and double click the file. It wil automatically be added to your iTunes ringtones and then syncs to your phone then next time you sync. As already said just make sure you have the 'sync all ringtones' box checked.