What's new

Missing txt history

Photoboy

Reaction score
Two days ago I was txting with a friend and I saw everything in my txt history from our conversation but yesterday night when I clicked on her name in the contact txt history the page came up blank with no prior txts. I don't understand this at all. The record was there but it was blank when I opened it. Can anyone help me with this please?

Sounds like it was inadvertently cleared. :-( Have you tried hard resetting your phone? Normally that fixes little glitches such as this.

Thank you I will try a hard reset. I assume it takes more than one click to erase txt screen so I don't know how I could have erased it by accident. Also if I erased it wouldn't her name not show in the txt history?

I checked and you can clear the txt window but it takes 3 clicks. The person stays in the history even when you do this.

iPhone 4S? iOS 5.0.1? If yes how did you upgrade from iOS 5 to iOS 5.0.1? Was it an OTA upgrade or via iTunes on your computer upgrade?

It is 4s on 5.0.1 upgraded over the air. Is there a problem that is caused with method? I was tethered to my computer when I did it but iTunes did not ask about the update my phone did and so I think it came over the air even though I was tethered. Idk

It is 4s on 5.0.1 upgraded over the air. Is there a problem that is caused with method? I was tethered to my computer when I did it but iTunes did not ask about the update my phone did and so I think it came over the air even though I was tethered. Idk

Yeah there is a problem upgrading that way. This problem does occur on some iPhone 4S upgraded iOS 5.0.1 OTA. Worse you iPhone may even start losing memory and will not remember the name of your contacts (this is if you use the iCloud contacts), also some times the iPhone will also not recognize a thread and when you send a message to ABC and ABC reply, the reply will appear in a completely new thread.
The cure of your issue is to factory reset the iOS by using your computer, you can do a backup of your files before factory restoring your iOS.

Last edited:
Yeah there is a problem upgrading that way. This problem does occur on some iPhone 4S upgraded iOS 5.0.1 OTA. Worse you iPhone may even start losing memory and will not remember the name of your contacts (this is if you use the iCloud contacts), also some times the iPhone will also not recognize a thread and when you send a message to ABC and ABC reply, the reply will appear in a completely new thread.
The cure of your issue is to factory reset the iOS by using your computer, you can do a backup of your files before factory restoring your iOS.

Thank you very much for the fix. I am not going to wait for anymore problems and going to do the reset now. How do I back my photos up if I am not using photo stream and want to get them back onto my phone. I have a gallery I made in iPhoto to that I have copied all my photos to but is there a way to recover them all to my phone in the place they now reside on the phone or do I have to sync the gallery I created?

Thank you very much for the fix. I am not going to wait for anymore problems and going to do the reset now. How do I back my photos up if I am not using photo stream and want to get them back onto my phone. I have a gallery I made in iPhoto to that I have copied all my photos to but is there a way to recover them all to my phone in the place they now reside on the phone or do I have to sync the gallery I created?

Just connect your phone to your computer, open up iTunes, right click on your iPhone name in the left pane of iTunes, in the dialogue box after making the right click will be "back up" select it and let iTunes backup your files.
After factory restoring the iPhone, do not set as "new phone" but chose to restore from a backup, there will be a list of available backup for you iPhone, chose the most recent one (the one you did before the factory restore) let iTunes restore your backup files into your iPhone, it could take a while, it's all depend of how huge is the back up in theme of GB.
Once the backup restore is done, iTunes will now load into your iPhone your apps, songs, books, iTunes videos, (I mean everything which was on your iPhone and are also in iTunes, unless let's say 1h ago you downloaded an app or a book from the store and haven download it into your iTunes then that app will be missing after the restore and you will have to download it manually after backup restore is done) then your iPhone will be like it was moments before you initiate the factory restore, except for passwords for emails, restrictions etc... which you will have to re-enter manually.
Your photo might be or might not be in your computer, it really doesn't matter because your photos and videos made with the iPhone are part of the backup files just like your SMS are part of the backup.
But to be on the safe side, I advice you to have a copy of your pictures somewhere in your computer.

Thanks for all your help! I got it restored with all my data intact.