What's new

Missing Call Waiting Option

dbplumb: As I stated above, on my iPhone5, using VZW service - my phone DOES NOT show the options you portray. No call waiting nor call forwarding (well, I do see "call forward disable toggle switch - but it's under "Verizon Services"), so I can't turn mine on or off. At least - not in the manner you apparently have on your phone. So, which phone (3, 4, 4s, 5) and service do you have that is showing these options for you? I see the exact same screen as posted by the OP in his opening post.

Skull - thanks for that explanation! :)

OP: When you are talking and a call comes in - do you see any options presented on your screen? What exactly shows on your screen when a call comes in?
Also - you mentioned you "did all your updates".. May I ask just what updates you had on an iPhone5? I was under the impression all fives come with iOS6 and to my knowledge we've been offered no updates to this yet.

I'm a she, lol.

I haven't paid close attention to the screen when I receive a call, but the call waiting option wouldn't have anything to do with that would it? It prompted me to update my software when I turned the phone on.

Does anyone else notice that the phone will randomly click and the screen will go black after a call or if you hit the on/off button too quickly? Was wondering if it's just mine.

Sorry I should have clarified that there are NO Verizon Wireless phones and I am very sure no US phones that have a call waiting setting.

In the US it is handled directly by the Teleco and has since the day it was brought online.

Hmmm. Well, I guess in the past with my blackberry I always hated being interrupted while on a call. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of it going straight to voicemail while I'm busy

Hmmm. Well, I guess in the past with my blackberry I always hated being interrupted while on a call. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of it going straight to voicemail while I'm busy

I tried to put someone on call waiting but I think I sent them to voice mail. I didn't follow my own instructions, something went wrong. Anyway voice mail was there.

kBodhi - Sorry for assuming you were a guy! :)

Yes - looking at your screen when a call comes in has everything to do with call wait - at least with my Verizon service on my iPhone5. Like I said above - when I'm on the phone and a call comes in - I look at my screen and there it is offering me two options. Option #1 - "Ignore" which if I press that the caller will be sent directly to my voicemail. Option #2: "Hold Call and Answer" which would put the first caller on hold (call wait) and switch me over to the incoming call. While on that call, I have the options now to either switch back to the original caller or "include 3rd caller" (conference call). So yes - what is appearing on your screen has everything to do with how you will choose to handle calls as they come in. I actually like this better than my previous droid (android system with VZW) as there were no visible screens offering my options. I would have to press "flash" to switch and most times I would ultimately be hanging up on my original caller when doing so.

Thus, this is one feature that I prefer with iOS6 over the Android method (at least with the droid I owned).

Hook - which "button" are you pressing and holding to enable call waiting? Are you not seeing the options on your screen as I've just explained in this post? I've had the opportunity now about 5-6 times to utilize this call wait and it has worked flawless for me each time. I've yet to try the conference call option so I can't comment on how well/easy that works.

Last edited:
kBodhi - Sorry for assuming you were a guy! :)

Yes - looking at your screen when a call comes in has everything to do with call wait - at least with my Verizon service on my iPhone5. Like I said above - when I'm on the phone and a call comes in - I look at my screen and there it is offering me two options. Option #1 - "Ignore" which if I press that the caller will be sent directly to my voicemail. Option #2: "Hold Call and Answer" which would put the first caller on hold (call wait) and switch me over to the incoming call. While on that call, I have the options now to either switch back to the original caller or "include 3rd caller" (conference call). So yes - what is appearing on your screen has everything to do with how you will choose to handle calls as they come in. I actually like this better than my previous droid (android system with VZW) as there were no visible screens offering my options. I would have to press "flash" to switch and most times I would ultimately be hanging up on my original caller when doing so.

Thus, this is one feature that I prefer with iOS6 over the Android method (at least with the droid I owned).

Hook - which "button" are you pressing and holding to enable call waiting? Are you not seeing the options on your screen as I've just explained in this post? I've had the opportunity now about 5-6 times to utilize this call wait and it has worked flawless for me each time. I've yet to try the conference call option so I can't comment on how well/easy that works.

Well you have call waiting then. I do not. Incoming calls go straight to my voicemail without my knowledge while I'm on a call.

I just spent 15 mins on the phone with Verizon. They had me dial *228 and then select option 1 to program phone. Then they had me dial #832 as a test call and this corrected the issue of my call waiting not working. Verizon then called me while I was on the phone with them and the beep came through and option to ignore or hold an answer came up. :) :)

More info from the Verizon Wireless website:

[h=3]Enabling / Disabling Call Forwarding[/h]
note.gif
Using a * (star) code feature from the device can't be guaranteed outside the home market of the device.
Enabling Call Forwarding - Device
Immediate Call Forwarding
    1. Dial *72 then the 10-digit phone number.
    2. Press Send then wait for confirmation beeps/message.
Conditional Call Forwarding (no answer)
    1. Dial *71 then the 10-digit phone number.
    2. Press Send then wait for confirmation beeps/message.
Disabling Call Forwarding - Device
  1. To turn off Call Forwarding, dial *73.
  2. Press Send and wait for confirmation beeps/message.
  3. To ensure Busy Transfer is off, dial *900.
  4. Press Send and wait for confirmation beeps/message.
  5. To ensure No-Answer-Transfer Call Forwarding is off, dial *920.
  6. Press Send and wait for confirmation beeps/message.
Enabling Call Forwarding - My Verizon Website
  1. Navigate to the Verizon Wireless website, enter User ID or Cell Phone Number and Password thenclick Sign In.
    linote.gif
    To register, click Register then follow the step-by-step instructions.
  2. Click My Verizon > View All (under My Device).
  3. Click Set Up Call Forwarding (under Manage My Device).
  4. Enter the 10-digit phone number in the Forward Mobile Number to box and adjust the options as desired then click Set Up Call Forwarding.
Disabling Call Forwarding - My Verizon Website
  1. Navigate to the Verizon Wireless website, enter User ID or Cell Phone Number and Password then click Sign In.
    linote.gif
    To register, click Register then follow the step-by-step instructions.
  2. Click My Verizon > View All (under My Device).
  3. Click Set Up Call Forwarding (under Manage My Device).
  4. Click Cancel Call Forwarding.