What's new

Mirror iPhone 5 via ATV to TV screen?

Yes you can. I have an ATV3 and works flawlessly with my AirPort Extreme.

As long as the TV has an HDMI input, yes you can use the AirPlay feature on your Apple TV.

$iphone-5-airplay-2.jpg
Connect iPhone 5 to your home network(wi-fi), play some video, and you can see the AirPlay icon on the control bar.
You need to use the same Apple ID for your iPhone 5 and Apple TV.

OP was asking about mirror function, not AirPlay.....

To OP:
No problem.
Make sure ATV and i5 are on same WiFi network.
Open task switcher on i5 by double tapping home button. Swipe left past iPod controls and you will see this:

pyru2ysy.jpg

Tap the airplay icon (rectangle w/arrow pointing up) and it will bring up this menu:

5ure9e8y.jpg

Select AppleTV, or whatever you have renamed it, and slide "mirroring" to on & you are set.
Whatever appears on your device will be mirrored to your TV!

Mirror function is a feature of AirPlay. Look at the title bar on your photo, it's called AirPlay. :)

OP was asking about mirror function, not AirPlay.....

To OP:
No problem.
Make sure ATV and i5 are on same WiFi network.
Open task switcher on i5 by double tapping home button. Swipe left past iPod controls and you will see this:

Tap the airplay icon (rectangle w/arrow pointing up) and it will bring up this menu:

5ure9e8y.jpg

Select AppleTV, or whatever you have renamed it, and slide "mirroring" to on & you are set.
Whatever appears on your device will be mirrored to your TV!

Thanks for butting in, professor, but do you even know what semantics means?

It is often used in ordinary language to denote a problem of understanding that comes down to word selection

Agreed you cannot mirror without AirPlay, but you can AirPlay and still may miss the function OP asked about.
If I'm going to try to be helpful, it makes sense to me to be as clear as possible....

Thanks snow for the great reply. iPhone 5 launch held few surprises on the hardware front. Now new iOS 6 has launched with iPhone 5. For the developers they can create apps that take advantage of the amazing new features in iOS 6 and prepare apps for submission to the App Store.

Thanks snow for the great reply. iPhone 5 launch held few surprises on the hardware front. Now new iOS 6 has launched with iPhone 5. For the developers they can create apps that take advantage of the amazing new features in iOS 6 and prepare apps for submission to the App Store.

You do realize that the iOS 6 SDK has been out for 4 months? And you knew that iOS 6 only apps were submitted two weeks BEFORE iOS 6 was launched, right? And that the only new features that make iOS 6 apps truly unique are Maps and Passbook features, right? Oh and iOS 6 runs on the iPhone 4, 4S, iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPhone 5 with NO DIFFERENCE in functional. You knew that too right?

So the iPhone 5 launch didn't hold any surprises because iOS 6 was the key issue not the phone. BTW; us developers, and heck even the public at large, already knew everything before anything was actually officially released. iOS and iDevices are the worst kept secrets in the industry right now.

One last thing, if you do not have a wireless internet network, you cannot use Apple TV, is that right?

So if I take the Apple TV to a friend's place where there is no wireless network, I won't be able to use it? Am I getting this right?

One last thing, if you do not have a wireless internet network, you cannot use Apple TV, is that right?

So if I take the Apple TV to a friend's place where there is no wireless network, I won't be able to use it? Am I getting this right?

Not really right
Apple Tv has ethernet in and optical audio out so you could use it as long as your friend has ethernet

Not really right
Apple Tv has ethernet in and optical audio out so you could use it as long as your friend has ethernet

So if you are using it in a place where there is no internet connection, you can't just plug it to a flat TV and play what you have on your iPhone via the Apple TV?
And in that case, if you turn the "Personal Hotspot" on your iphone on, can the Apple TV pick that connection?

Last edited: