What's new

Mint Mobile $15 Month

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
I just ran across this today. Does anyone use it? If so, do you recommend it? Sounds like a really good deal IF it works.

Thanks!

The only thing with this mint mobile is mod to likely not unlimited data. You’ll be limited to a small amount if any data. You only get 3gb of data with the $15 plan. IMO, that isn’t very much at all. If you don’t use your apps much at all, then yes it may be worth it. But if you use your phone for more then just a phone, then the plan won’t be so desirable. They do have some larger data plans, but IMO, this day and time, most should be looking for an unlimited data plan. Also not sure who Mint Mobiles cellular service goes through. The service may be good around town, but get out of town any and it may not work so well. As I said, not sure who they get their cellular service through, but I am 100% sure it’s not their own cellular service as in they have their own cell sites. Just something to consider. Again it all boils down to what and how you use your phone as well as where you are located. And $15 plan only gets you 3gb of data which isn’t much these days.

I take your points, 933. I faced a similar thing years ago with MetroPCS and my Android phone. They offered the best rates (not sure they still exist), but I was told coverage areas could be sketchy, and I worried about that fact, but it turned out to be okay. I sadly stopped any sort of travelling out of town quite a few years back. These days the furtherest I am from home is usually no more than 5 miles. I do not use my apps frequently, and there are WiFi hot spots nearby. So, I thought perhaps Mint might be a way to help me pay for this expensive (for me) phone. They actually offer three plans, too. According to the website, after the initial three months is up, you can lock in that same rate for one year if you pay the bill up front. For $20 month, you get 8GB data and the LTE thing which I believe is the best speed.

Not a bad price at all then. And for about what $240 per year for the 8gb service, still a great deal even if you have to pay for a year. It all boils down to if you travel much and how much you use your apps other then the phone/messaging. Also know that messaging can use data as well. And also FaceTime calling. Not sure if those are dealbreakers, but they do use data. Haven’t seen who Mint mobile gets their service through, so be aware of that as well. I am not a fan of T-Mobile or Metro PCS myself after seeing what their cell sites looked like in person or having to work on them. Was a cell site tech for 18yrs before getting into the aviation business. I can honestly say that t-mobile and metro pcs had at the time (5yrs ago), some of the most atrocious cell sites I’ve ever seen. The quality of workmanship was just below poor on many of their cell sites. The best built sites I’ve ever seen were by Verizon, ATT, and rounded out by sprint. At any rate, if you are happy with metro pcs, I don’t see why mint mobile would be a bad deal at all for you!! Let us know if you do go to them and how their service rates.

I believe Mint does operate off of T-Mobile towers. Also, I think T-Mobile may now own MetroPCS, but I am not sure about that. I have not been a MetroPCS customer for quite a few years now. I believe you about the condition of the towers, though. I have been with Cricket for the last few years, and they are owned by ATT, so they operate off of ATT towers. I have only ever had one problem in reaching a couple of numbers. That was a long story....never resolved and still have no idea where is the problem. I dial around it now by calling other numbers and asking to be transferred. :rolleyes:

You mentioned FaceTime...that was one of the most exciting things to me about switching to Mac and iPhone. I have had my Mac about 11 years or so, and I have been with iphone for about 6 years, and I STILL have not used it. Everyone I would want to use it with is still using Windows computers and Android phones. After a couple of years, I sort of forgot about FaceTime. Now, I am so old and in such "disrepair" that it is probably better I do not use it! :p By the way, does FaceTime work with anyone in the world who has Mac and/or iPhone??

I am using texts more than ever before, though. Honestly, I prefer emails, but part of the reason for getting the larger screen iPhone was the hope of letting my ISP go. If I do that, and it is imminent at the end of this month, then I will rely on my mobile data more than ever. I have 5GB data with Cricket, but until recently virtually 100% of it went unused every single month. Looks like that is going to change very soon, though.

Thanks, 933.

Reactions: 933
FaceTime will work anywhere in the world with a WiFi or cellular internet connection with anyone who has an iOS /iPadOS device or a Mac.

I think that is really brilliant! I can recall talking about telly-phones with friends as little child. Now, it has finally come true! :)