What's new

Migrating from Android to iOS

chalkomatas

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

This is my first post on the forum.

I've been an android user for many years, but now I have just bought the latest iPhone 11 model. This is the first Apple device to have ever had in my possession. Could you please help me a little with the following questions?

After the first steps (face ID, apple ID and phone registration), I connected my new phone to my google account and all my contacts and the gmail emails were successfully transferred to the iPhone. My queries below:

Q1) Should I import contacts from my google account to icloud contacts using the vcard exported from google contacts? In that case will my contacts list be filled with duplicate contacts? Or I just should keep only the google contacts list?

Q2) Should I create an icloud mail account?

Q3) Can I add a home location at my personal contact card by simply dropping a pin on the desired position on maps (as happens with google maps) instead of typing its address (eg if the house is not numbered)?

Thank you a lot!

You don’t have to import your contacts to iCloud, if you keep the Gmail account. Even if you delete the account, and set it up again, they’ll reappear, as soon as you enable Contacts for Gmail.

You need an Apple ID to use iCloud, purchase apps/music/movies, ... That’s an email address, and it can also be your Gmail address. You don’t have to set up an iCloud account, just to use Apple’s services. That said, I’ve been using Android devices before purchasing Apple devices. I’m using my Gmail address for contacts and calendars, the Gmail app is installed on my iPad, so that I can read emails as well. I don’t use that email address as iCloud account, though. So it’s your choice whether or not you create a new (free) iCloud address.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
You don’t have to import your contacts to iCloud, if you keep the Gmail account. Even if you delete the account, and set it up again, they’ll reappear, as soon as you enable Contacts for Gmail.

You need an Apple ID to use iCloud, purchase apps/music/movies, ... That’s an email address, and it can also be your Gmail address. You don’t have to set up an iCloud account, just to use Apple’s services. That said, I’ve been using Android devices before purchasing Apple devices. I’m using my Gmail address for contacts and calendars, the Gmail app is installed on my iPad, so that I can read emails as well. I don’t use that email address as iCloud account, though. So it’s your choice whether or not you create a new (free) iCloud address.

Hope that helps.

Hi J. A.. Thank you for your time. I think this is the best to do.

What do you think of the maps issue? Is it possible to point my house with a pin on the maps instead of typing its address? Google Maps offers this option, but editing my personal contact card on iOS does not allow me to do anything but type an address.

Hi J. A.. Thank you again very much!

Just one final question; I noticed that iOS mail App does not notify me when reveiving emails unless I have left it open in the background. Is it normal? Comparing it to the Gmail App I used to use on my previous android phone, gmail was not necessary to be left open in the background in order to notify me. Also note that Push notifications are on at iOS email settings.

That‘s normal.
Afaik, a Gmail account can’t be set to push data from the server. The only option you‘ll get is Fetch, and you can select at which interval to fetch.

That‘s normal.
Afaik, a Gmail account can’t be set to push data from the server. The only option you‘ll get is Fetch, and you can select at which interval to fetch.

Indeed. In addition at Settings > General > Background App Refresh is On, but Mail app is missing from the applications list. It is strange to be omitted (I think).