What's new

Lost notes in the "Notes" app

billg

Reaction score
I use the app “Note” on my iphone 4S a lot. I had 5 main notes. Each was really a category and within each were several individual notes. I just looked at Notes and saw that 4 of my 5 categories were missing – gone. I looked on icloud and they also weren’t there. I’d really like to get them back! And at minimum I don’t want this to happen again.
One event that may be related is the following. I had google mail setup on my iphone. This morning I got a message that there were attempts to get into my account by someone. So I deleted google mail on my iphone, then went to my computer and changed my password and also set up the 2-step sign-in that google recommends. I have not yet re-setup google mail on my iphone. Is it possible that somehow this is related to the missing notes?

It's because the notes are associated with your google mail. In settings, when you go to Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and go to your specific email accounts, you will find there are buttons to enable or disable notes. If you enable that button, notes related to this email will be shown in the Notes app, if it's disabled, it will disappear. :)
And there are other occasions that you may lost your notes. When you enable Notes in your iCloud settings, and if you delete one note on any device with the same icloud account, the note will be disappear simultaneously.
But if you haven't done many options and changes to rewrite the previous data after you lost the note, you can get back the note with this iOS recovery tool and transfer the note back to your iPhone.

Look in your email Notes folder. Any email account you had connected to the Notes app that you may have turned off in the Notes app will be in that email's Notes folder.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.