What's new

Lost cause making new iPhone and old Mac work?

a1insun

Reaction score
Hi,
Looks like I'm going to have trouble using iCloud though I just got the latest iPhone 4S. But it looks like I have an old Mac (10.4.11) and a correspondingly older version of iTunes 9.2.1 (when like 10.4 is required for iCloud). I even tried to turned Home Sharing on in my iTunes. Then I went to my iPhone to adjust the appropriate setting for "iPod" but this newest iPhone only has something called Nike + iPod which is useless to me (apparently it's for runners!).

Under settings for Store I do have automatic downloads for Apps set to on on the iPhone. But how will I ever share/sync stuff between my old computer to the new iPhone? For example, I had to download the large Skype app in iTunes but it's not flowing over to my iPhone. How can I sync my mail (beyond just a me.com address), music, files. Will I be unable to use iCloud and have to use Dropbox or something? I find it hard to believe home sharing is not working and nothing can work here...

Thanks!

Can you download leapord? I have an old mac also (non intel) so can't update to snow leaporad. I can still run the latest version of iTunes and sync correctly (although I don't have the 4S).

Home sharing has nothing to do with syncing to your iPhone. What setting we're you trying to change for your iPod? In iOS 5 the iPod app has been replaced with the music and video apps like on the iPod touch...

Hi,
I was able to upgrade to Snow Leopard with just a $40 CD and thanks for that tip. Yet under system preferences I just don't see iCloud. It gave an option for MobileMe, but then a link displayed that no more MobileMe subscribers will be allowed because of the migration to iCloud. Now having Snow Leopard I was able upgrade my version of iTunes so that I can get large apps, sync music from iTunes to my iPhone (and little voice recordings I make can flow from iPhone to computer fine). For document sharing I'm now using Dropbox, which works. And for e-mail I just have a rule set so any e-mail in my computer e-mail address book gets auto-forwarded to a gmail account I can check with the iPhone (so I just see relevant friends e-mail). So it looks like I have all my bases covered but still curious as it seems iCloud is only fully functional with Lion.

Last edited: