What's new

Looking for, what is probably, antiquated technology

Blackhawk Bob

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2003 Mercedes and I'm looking for a way to run the stored songs in my iPhone 6 through the sound system. It has a tape deck but it closes tightly. The 6-disk CD player is in the trunk. Are there any iPhone docks that broadcast FM signals that I can run through my radio? Any suggestions short of buying a different car? Thanks for your help.
Blackhawk Bob

I am not sure what you mean by "the tape deck closes tightly", but I have had a cassette adapter and it worked great in my older car. I now have a bluetooth Motorola Roadster and love it.

I am not sure what you mean by "the tape deck closes tightly", but I have had a cassette adapter and it worked great in my older car. I now have a bluetooth Motorola Roadster and love it.

Thanks for responding.
It is a little hinged door that drops open. When closed there is no room for wires to exit.

You can still get cassette adapters. I have a monster brand one. Works great. You plug it I to your iPhone and put the cassette end into the cassette player and it plays anything on the iPhone. If you are also in a map program it mutes the music when it gives you the verbal directions. You should check it out. They even sold them at the Apple Store but I don't know if they still do. You can also buy am FM Adaptor but my cassette adaptor worked better I terms of reception and I had a. Fm program on my iPhone so I cod get any FM channel.

You can still get cassette adapters. I have a monster brand one. Works great. You plug it I to your iPhone and put the cassette end into the cassette player and it plays anything on the iPhone. If you are also in a map program it mutes the music when it gives you the verbal directions. You should check it out. They even sold them at the Apple Store but I don't know if they still do. You can also buy am FM Adaptor but my cassette adaptor worked better I terms of reception and I had a. Fm program on my iPhone so I cod get any FM channel.
Doesn't your cassette adapter have wires that have to lead out of the deck?

The adapter looks like a cassette, it has wires that hang out of the small hinged door you reference, it has a plug that connects direct to your iPhone.

I should have posted
Mercedes Tape Deck Open.JPG
Mercedes Tape Deck Closed.JPG

I use a GOgroove X2 FM transmitter with my iPhone 5c and it works great! The best thing about it is that it also doubles as a hands free device and allows you to make or receive phone calls. Here's where I got mine:

GOgroove FlexSMART X2 Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging Music Control and Hands-Free Calling for Smartphones Tablets MP3 Players More - Walmart.com

All you need is a cigarette lighter port and a FM radio in the car. This device works with just about any device as it also has a line in jack, and a USB port to allow you to connect a charging cable for your device.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Yes, I was talking of the Motorola Roadster. It's a bluetooth device, so you can also make and receive calls over it. It will transmit calls and your iPhone music either over the device or through your car's speakers. The music is great. the phone calls are a bit "tinny".

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I will check out the Roadster and the Gogroove. The more I think about the problem the more convinced I am that these products will work for my system. The door will just stay a touch ajar to accommodate the wire.
Thanks again!

Blackhawk Bob

Bob
Perhaps you want to keep your car totally "stock", but have you considered just replacing the radio? You can get a very inexpensive new radio with Bluetooth, USB, and other goodies that will fit in the existing slot. We had Best Buy install one and we're very happy with it. You can still save the old radio and re-install it later if you want to. I also have a Roadster in my truck, but the new radio beats it hands down. With the radio you don't have to remember to turn the Bluetooth on or off or charged, and when the phone is plugged in it is being charged as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I will check out the Roadster and the Gogroove. The more I think about the problem the more convinced I am that these products will work for my system. The door will just stay a touch ajar to accommodate the wire.
Thanks again!

Blackhawk Bob
Maybe you can find what you want on Amazon.