What's new

liquipel. Does anyone have any experience with it ?

If what I'm reading about this product is legit, I just can't understand why we're just hearing about is as a use for iPhones first. Not that our iPhones aren't all-important:D, but it sure seems like there would be so many more applications for it's use with more urgency than phones. Weapons for one. I would think the military would be very interested in being able to waterproof weapons and equipment etc. And how about medical applications? The fishing industry? The possibilities seem endless. Maybe the company is hoping to create the demand by proving it on phones first? Or maybe it's a sham? Be interesting to see how it plays out.

As former military and a former contracted employee for some rather cool military equipment, I can tell you the military does have and has used in certain applications this same technology to waterproof certain equipment and yes it does work. Is this liquipel commercially available product of the same caliber of the military process? No clue. Darkstar did you have it done and *choke..... test it?

But it still doesn't provide shock protection like an Otter will. If you need the waterproof protection I'd just go with the Lifeproof case since it also provides shock protection.

Many iPhone users want to have their phones protected without having to have a super gigantic bulky case around it. Yes it's nice to have shock protection, but I would much rather have a simple case with the water proofing.

I called Liquipel after seeing it on the news. They are a local company, said I could bring my iphone to them to have the process applied. I got a bunch of friends together to get a group price..... then fortunately I listened to Leo Laporte this weekend who sent his phone in to get it treated. He got his iphone back and dunked it into a cup of water....THE PHONE DIED! The phone has since dried out and it will not work. I saw videos of Liquipel at CES with an iphone working underwater. If you read the fine print on their site it says that if you do get your phone wet it needs to be turned off immediately; you have to follow the drying procedure and then after 24 hours you can turn it back on. THIS IS NOT WHAT THEY ARE ADVERTISING!! Needles to say I'm not getting the Liquipel treatment. I love the idea of this technology but it doesn't seem to work.

Spray some Rain-X on it, dry it off, and call it as waterproof as it can get.

I called Liquipel after seeing it on the news. They are a local company, said I could bring my iphone to them to have the process applied. I got a bunch of friends together to get a group price..... then fortunately I listened to Leo Laporte this weekend who sent his phone in to get it treated. He got his iphone back and dunked it into a cup of water....THE PHONE DIED! The phone has since dried out and it will not work. I saw videos of Liquipel at CES with an iphone working underwater. If you read the fine print on their site it says that if you do get your phone wet it needs to be turned off immediately; you have to follow the drying procedure and then after 24 hours you can turn it back on. THIS IS NOT WHAT THEY ARE ADVERTISING!! Needles to say I'm not getting the Liquipel treatment. I love the idea of this technology but it doesn't seem to work.

Wow. The TRUTH finally is revealed...

So did Darkstar ever send the phone in for treatment?

My apologies. I never got back with this thread.
Yes I did get this treatment done back in April, but I have yet tried to dunk my iPhone in water. I figured this phone would simply cost too much replace. Plus, liqupel doesn't offer any type of warranty if the treatment fails. So I got it as a more of a last minute stand defense against moisture, or an accidental drop.

I can report that I've walked throw rain and went down a water slide with my iPhone. It came out ok in both of those instances (forgot my phone was in my pocket when I went down the slide).

So I do believe it's up to the user to determine if it's worth the price tag or not. It was for me. :)

Thank you for the update. I am on the fence about doing it. I have a Lifeproof case coming for my iPhone. I wish there was a waterproof case for this HTC Rezound I am on right now. LOL

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Wow. The TRUTH finally is revealed...

By no means a definitive test, plus when you receive your treated device they say right on the first paper that you should NOT submerge your device, it is only meant to help in the case of accidental water contact. COmpletely saved me just like two weeks ago when I dropped my 4S in water. Not only that but they are said to be working on a new treatment process that is even better some how.