What's new

Lightning to 30 Pin Cable Works Great! Mostly...

perezr10

Reaction score
I ordered my adapter cable from Apple last Thursday and it came today. I bought the cable vs the smaller adapter so that I wouldn't have to remove the case to use the adapter.

The big reason I bought it was to hook up to my car's audio system and it works like a charm. It charges my phone and allows the music to come out the dock connector as opposed to the weaker signal coming from the headphone jack. Also, my car stereo has built-in circuitry which allows me to control my iPhone via my car. This continues to work via Lightning in my Suzuki Aerio.

My adapter cable also works with my cheap Memorex audio dock although I doubt I'd use that much. It'll charge and pass the audio signal.

My one disappointment so far is that VIDEO OUT DOESN'T WORK. I have an Apple Component Video cable that I purchased just 4 months ago to hook my iPhone 4S or iPad 2 up to my Sony television. It works with those gadgets, but not my iPhone 5. Bummer. I can hear my movies through the TV but the video remains on my phone screen. This is true for either iTunes purchased movies or streaming services like Netflix.

Oh well, I bought it for my car mainly anyway.

I'm trying to picture an Apple Component Video. Is it 30 pin on one end and then component to TV?

If so that to me would be, well, really old technology. I'm hoping to see new docks made that you plug lightning to USB. Then coming out of your dock you would have an HDMI Slot to run from dock to television. Everything 100% digital.

I'm just wanting a lightning dock that doesn't need a conversion at all. If you know of any please let me know.

Yeah, component video is the red, blue, & green video jacks and audio on one side and the 30 pin on the other. Perhaps Apple didn't bother with this since its on its way out. However, I have a $3,200 Sony Wega HD television that has stunning pictures via 1080i, so I'm reluctant to move on.

I'll bet the adapter cable would work with an HDMI cable since that is the current standard. But that is just a guess.

Yeah, component video is the red, blue, & green video jacks and audio on one side and the 30 pin on the other. Perhaps Apple didn't bother with this since its on its way out. However, I have a $3,200 Sony Wega HD television that has stunning pictures via 1080i, so I'm reluctant to move on.

I'll bet the adapter cable would work with an HDMI cable since that is the current standard. But that is just a guess.

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!. Spend 5 bucks, get an HDMI cable and find out.

Thanks! I missed that video out was not supported.

Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter shipping at $49.
Put your slides, movies, photos, and everything else on your iPad with Retina display, iPad mini, iPhone 5, or iPod touch (5th generation) screen on an even bigger screen: your HDTV. The Lightning Digital AV Adapter mirrors exactly what you see on your device so that everyone in the room can enjoy it on your widescreen TV, video projection screen, or other HDMI-compatible display. The Lightning Digital AV Adapter also supports video out for watching movies, TV shows, and more.

Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter shipping at $49.
Put your slides, movies, photos, and everything else on your iPad with Retina display, iPad mini, iPhone 5, or iPod touch (5th generation) screen on an even bigger screen: your HDTV. The Lightning Digital AV Adapter mirrors exactly what you see on your device so that everyone in the room can enjoy it on your widescreen TV, video projection screen, or other HDMI-compatible display. The Lightning Digital AV Adapter also supports video out for watching movies, TV shows, and more.

yeah i really need to buy that