What's new

Laptop hard drive full

jstvj

Reaction score
My Laptop hard drive is full, mainly due to all the movies, photos and music. I have ordered an external hard drive to transfer and free up my internal drive. However, it has occurred to me that I might encounter syncing problems with iTunes ? Has anyone any experience of this please !

Just drag and drop your iTunes media folder to the new HD... iTunes will automatically know where it is.

Thomasjtsi said:
Just drag and drop your iTunes media folder to the new HD... iTunes will automatically know where it is.

That's so easy. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

I remember the first time I had to do the exact same thing... I researched for hours and hours in hopes that I wouldn't lose my music & stuff. Come to find out... it's a simple drag and drop. Remember though... it will take A LONG TIME for the iTunes Media folder to move to it's new location, depending of course on how much you have in iTunes.

I am running Windows 7, just to be clear I go into Program Files, drag and drop the entire ITunes folder into my new external hard drive. Obviously from thereon, when syncing iPhone, the external drive must be connected to laptop ? There's also a folder titled "Apple Software Update" in Program Files, which I assume is to be ignored ?

Correct. All you're doing is changing the location of your "iTunes Media" folder. No need to move anything else.

Thomasjtsi said:
Correct. All you're doing is changing the location of your "iTunes Media" folder. No need to move anything else.

Got my new external hard drive 5 minutes ago and have already transferred iTunes to it. That was so easy. I assume the ITunes folder on my laptop "C" drive should now be deleted ?

Well now to do some syncing. Got to transfer everything from my iPhone 4 to my new 5, 64gb. Mrs then gets the 4, so I have to replace my contacts and photos with hers, which are on her 3GS. The 3GS then goes on EBay.

By the way, how can I thank you and others who respond to my posts, without actually replying. Most forums have a "thank you" icon, but I can't see one. Is it because I am using the app on my iPhone.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to help me.