What's new

Just bought a 4s

Manaan

Reaction score
My last iphone before this was a 3gs and after that I've been rocking android nexus devices and really enjoyed them, but wanted to give iphone another try so I just ordered a 4s online couple days ago and it should come by saturday.

how are you guys liking your 4s? I'm glad to see people still use them, lot of people were saying "oh those are obsolete now" but I got mine for a great price so didn't want to pass it up. I know its quite old but I really love the design, look and feel of the 4s. Feels like a solid phone, and it's the last one made by steve jobs so thats a plus to some people.

My dad has a 5s and honestly it feels rather thin, light and plasticy cheap imo. I hear apple spends less money on build quality after the 4s and tries to market it as lighter? but idk how true that is.

Last edited:
Hi there, Welcome to the forum.
I had a 4s and loved it, my son still uses it, I think I'm correct in saying that before iPhone 6 it was Apples best selling phone.
Enjoy your new phone and the forum.

the 4s was my first smart phone and i am still using it 2 years later . before this i had what i call dumb phones . the 4s is the only smart phone i know but i do like it for its ease of use . not a bunch of useless things i will never use .just a simple to use phone that does everything pretty well .
if your 4s has ios 7 on it i would stay with that and avoid the upgrade . i put ios 8.1 or whatever the newest release is but honestly it slows the phone down . but its still a very capable phone

Welcome to iPhoneForums and ConGrats on your 4s....ENJOY

the 4s was my first smart phone and i am still using it 2 years later . before this i had what i call dumb phones . the 4s is the only smart phone i know but i do like it for its ease of use . not a bunch of useless things i will never use .just a simple to use phone that does everything pretty well .
if your 4s has ios 7 on it i would stay with that and avoid the upgrade . i put ios 8.1 or whatever the newest release is but honestly it slows the phone down . but its still a very capable phone
yeah this is what i was worried about, i believe this has ios 8 because the seller did a restore with itunes :( how bad is the ios 8 lag? will it get better in a later version of 8? i hear apple does this intentionally so people buy new iphones, and after they stop signing ipsw for 7 you cant down grade :( so unless you jailbreak your stuff eventually if you do an itunes restore you are stuck in ios 8 :(

yeah this is what i was worried about, i believe this has ios 8 because the seller did a restore with itunes :( how bad is the ios 8 lag? will it get better in a later version of 8? i hear apple does this intentionally so people buy new iphones, and after they stop signing ipsw for 7 you cant down grade :( so unless you jailbreak your stuff eventually if you do an itunes restore you are stuck in ios 8 :(
Apple does not intentionally slow down older iPhones with the new iOS updates. If there was ever coding in a new iOS release that was designed to slow down older devices it would have been discovered by those who pick apart each new release. Older devices have slower CPU's and less RAM both of which mean that tasks cannot be completed as quickly as with newer devices. It's not so much that the older devices are slower as that the newer devices are faster than the previous generation.

Apple does not intentionally slow down older iPhones with the new iOS updates. If there was ever coding in a new iOS release that was designed to slow down older devices it would have been discovered by those who pick apart each new release. Older devices have slower CPU's and less RAM both of which mean that tasks cannot be completed as quickly as with newer devices. It's not so much that the older devices are slower as that the newer devices are faster than the previous generation.

Yeah but for example when apple made iOS 8 I'm sure they saw that it runs slower on the 4s than ios 7, but pushed it through anyways to get people to upgrade - which is a great business tactic, but it seems like they slap us in the face a lot. It's quite obvious apple does this intentionally, they even stop signing the ipsw so you can't go back. and if you dont update to the new ios u have to deal with the constant notification which you can't turn off unless you once again, hack your stuff.

According to tracking info it should be here today!

Last edited:
yeah this is what i was worried about, i believe this has ios 8 because the seller did a restore with itunes :( how bad is the ios 8 lag? will it get better in a later version of 8? :(

some windows take second or so longer to open ,things load a little slower than ios7 .is it night and day ?no ,but its noticeable .
no it wont get any better in later versions . it can only get slower as they add more code .
i updated because i got tired of looking at the notice like you mentioned .but i wont let it force me to upgrade my phone .a 5s is probably high as i go .
i think they kinda dropped the ball on the new design of the 6 . looks like every samsung out there now . i rather like the 4s design never had a 5 to compare the 4 to.only held them at the apple store

some windows take second or so longer to open ,things load a little slower than ios7 .is it night and day ?no ,but its noticeable .
no it wont get any better in later versions . it can only get slower as they add more code .
i updated because i got tired of looking at the notice like you mentioned .but i wont let it force me to upgrade my phone .a 5s is probably high as i go .
i think they kinda dropped the ball on the new design of the 6 . looks like every samsung out there now . i rather like the 4s design never had a 5 to compare the 4 to.only held them at the apple store
I agree with you, the 4s IMO has the best look and it feels like a real solid and quality phone. as i said in my OP, my dad has the 5s and it feels pretty cheap/plasticy to me.

do you guys think ios 8 will be the final IOS for 4s? or will they also try to push ios 9 as well?

I agree with you, the 4s IMO has the best look and it feels like a real solid and quality phone. as i said in my OP, my dad has the 5s and it feels pretty cheap/plasticy to me.

do you guys think ios 8 will be the final IOS for 4s? or will they also try to push ios 9 as well?
We won't know for certain until next September when iOS 9 is released to the public but I wouldn't be surprised if neither the iPad 2 nor the iPhone 4S could be updated to iOS 9.

I think 4s was the best design, It felt really solid in the the hand too, I suppose they had to move on and compete with all the new Smartphones out there, I like the design of 6 now though, With a metal bumper on it feels good to hold too.

Hey guys I'm writing this on my 4s :) at a Mexican restaurant arm and just finished so waiting atm

I got ios8 but it's running solid. I used the tips online to disable unnecessarily features and make it faster and I'm not noticing any lag!

Loving it! It feels so solid and silky and awesome! Feels so stable too, no random crashing which makes me happy :)

Also I'm a very fast Typer and the keyboard is keeping up spot on :)

Btw I had an issue that my charger wouldn't go in the port. I freaked out and bought a new cable and still didn't work!! But I'm pretty tech savvy and noticed some serious dust clots, took a small pin and poked em out, then sucked it all out with a vacuum cleaner and now it's good as new! (Returned the cable)

Also this phones in mint condition, not a single scratch or blemish anywhere!! :)

Also every night when I go to charge my phone I turn it off then plug it in to charge so that it clears out the ram and gets a fresh start daily :)

I hope they don't bring iOS 9 to 4s...

BTW, when i combined my used space (2gb) + availbable space (10.7gb) = 12.7gb total space, is that normal for a iphone 4s 16gb?

btw im so glad i got 4s, SIRI = HEAVEN for me, i used google now on my nexus a lot, but siri feels better, understands me better, and does more!

BTW, when i combined my used space (2gb) + availbable space (10.7gb) = 12.7gb total space, is that normal for a iphone 4s 16gb?
yes ,normal ,rest of space is taken by operating system ,and included apps .