What's new

Iphone 4s can't be detected by computer or itunes

vick

Reaction score
Ok so my dad recently bought an iphone 4s from someone that was selling one. When we turned it on we noticed that it wasn't restored to factory settings and there was still many apps on it. So i tried to restore it by going into settings but it asked for a password. Well i tried 1234 or 0000 but none of them worked. So i proceeded to connect it to my computer and restore it through itunes but my computer wouldn't recognize it as an iphone. When i connect it, some weird usb config thingy shows up on the iphone 4s and asks for around 5 options: mass storage, java, webcam, and some other ones. I think its jailbroken but i literally have no idea how to restore this thing. I tried hard resetting it but when i hold the power and home button it just won't turn off. Even DFU mode won't work. At this point i am completely lost and pissed off, i don't know what kind of moron had this phone before but its driving me nuts trying to figure out how to reset this ****.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me

vick said:
Ok so my dad recently bought an iphone 4s from someone that was selling one. When we turned it on we noticed that it wasn't restored to factory settings and there was still many apps on it. So i tried to restore it by going into settings but it asked for a password. Well i tried 1234 or 0000 but none of them worked. So i proceeded to connect it to my computer and restore it through itunes but my computer wouldn't recognize it as an iphone. When i connect it, some weird usb config thingy shows up on the iphone 4s and asks for around 5 options: mass storage, java, webcam, and some other ones. I think its jailbroken but i literally have no idea how to restore this thing. I tried hard resetting it but when i hold the power and home button it just won't turn off. Even DFU mode won't work. At this point i am completely lost and pissed off, i don't know what kind of moron had this phone before but its driving me nuts trying to figure out how to reset this ****.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me

The reason nothing has worked is because it has a pass code enabled. Get ahold of the person your dad bought it from and ask what it is.

The reason nothing has worked is because it has a pass code enabled. Get ahold of the person your dad bought it from and ask what it is.

I went to settings and checked and passcode is disabled

vick said:
I went to settings and checked and passcode is disabled
Interesting.... the passcode iTunes asks for during a restore is when there's a passcode set on said iDevice.

Anyone else help here? Maybe I'm missing something....

In a case like this, you'll need to fish out the lock manually. Try accessing the root of your device and find the con.apple.speingboard.plist under library/preferences/. Then you'd either have to open and edit the file and look for the pass code manually. Or you'll have to replace it with an earlier copy of the plist, which isn't available. Or, if you know the iOS, download the stock IPSW, change the extension to .zip or .rar and extract it. Then find the com.apple.speingboard.plist and copy it over to your iPhone, then restart

In a case like this, you'll need to fish out the lock manually. Try accessing the root of your device and find the con.apple.speingboard.plist under library/preferences/. Then you'd either have to open and edit the file and look for the pass code manually. Or you'll have to replace it with an earlier copy of the plist, which isn't available. Or, if you know the iOS, download the stock IPSW, change the extension to .zip or .rar and extract it. Then find the com.apple.speingboard.plist and copy it over to your iPhone, then restart

How do i access the root of the device?

Also the thing is. I think the phone might be jailbroken so it can be used with other carriers. But my dad doesn't want it jailbroken, i also have no idea what he used to jailbreak it cause there is no cydia app but there is a winterboard. When i tap on winterboard instead of taking me into the app and letting me choose the theme, it just switches it when i tap on it.

You can remove Cydia but still have a jail broken device. You can access the root of your device using programs like iExplorer. Plug your device in, have iTunes installed and run iExplorer. Then click on root access on the middle of the page and find that directory, or use the tree on the left sidebar

You can remove Cydia but still have a jail broken device. You can access the root of your device using programs like iExplorer. Plug your device in, have iTunes installed and run iExplorer. Then click on root access on the middle of the page and find that directory, or use the tree on the left sidebar

But the thing is when i plug it in. The computer doesn't recognize it as an iphone. When i plug it in the iphone goes to a screen that says usb config and asks for you to choose how to connect:
Mass Storage
Webcam
Pictbridge
Java connection
MTP storage

I've never seen this screen before on any other apple device i connect to the computer

That means you have the wrong driver. The driver you have installed is an MTP modem driver, where the computer recognizes all its internal features, not the device as a whole. You'll need to go on another computer, restore on there, then come back on this computer and restore once again to get the driver for that device again. But first, check the following directory to see if you have any driver files in there or if the folder exists at all

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers

My iPhone 4s is not password protected. I hooked the iPhone to the computer after downloading the most recent version of iTunes. When I connect the phone to the computer the camera and pictures are recognized and that I'd it. So I decided to close down iTunes then re connect the phone to the computer to see if that starts iTunes. So far after 6 minutes iTunes has not started. I wonder with the new version of the operating system syncing the phone is not necessary anymore.

UPDATE FROM ABOVE: I restarted iTunes then the pho e was resign used and synced OK.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

Last edited:
That means you have the wrong driver. The driver you have installed is an MTP modem driver, where the computer recognizes all its internal features, not the device as a whole. You'll need to go on another computer, restore on there, then come back on this computer and restore once again to get the driver for that device again. But first, check the following directory to see if you have any driver files in there or if the folder exists at all

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers

I checked and the folders there with some driver files in there

If that's the case, open up the device manager and see if any apple or mobile drivers are there when your iPhone is plugged in. If you do, uninstall and replug your iPhone and a driver with a yellow triangle appears. Then update your driver by browsing to the drivers folder when prompt to