What's new

Juggling Multiple Camera Apps...Recommendation Needed

Tango

Reaction score
Tried searching the forum, but couldn't find an answer to match my question. Hoping someone could help out :)

I just bought the iPhone 4 and downloaded Hipstamatic and Instagram. I like them both, but get annoyed when I want to use both apps (including the native iPhone app) to take the same picture as I have to close one, then open the other...

Does anyone know of or use a camera app out there that can come close to producing similar vintage effects of Hipstamatic and Instagram, but can also take the regular iPhone photos?

Simply looking for one camera app to cover all the bases whether I'm looking to go retro or just a normal picture with no effects.

Thanks!

You will never find that perfect app that does it all, i myself have 2 apps for pictures because all in one app for pictures doesn't exists. Good luck searching.

Camera+ is another excellent photo app. It does what you are looking for, but switching between photo apps is never easy. Actually i found that using the regular iPhone photo app for shooting is best, because I can access it directly from my locked phone. Then I can always import the photos to any other photo app for editing afterwards.

I have IG & Snapseed, but find the native camera the most conveniently accessible (obviously). My biggest gripe with IG is that any portrait-orientation photos NOT taken in-app (i.e. - with the native app) are too large for IG to process & require significant cropping, eliminating most of the image. However, if the shot's taken in landscape with the native camera, then it fits into the IG upload system without problem.

Regarding Snapseed, it's a GREAT app (especially when used on the iPad & shooting RAW with my DSLR), but it's definitely an EDITING tool, not a capture tool. I highly recommend it if you're looking for an app to process RAW photos on the go (it can be slow while importing, FYI), but not as a photo capture app.

I can't speak for Hipstamatic since I'm not a user.

As the previous poster mentioned, there's no perfect app out there, but that's what makes the search so worth it. You can make your own custom combos between apps to make a truly unique photo.

Have a great day!

Tyler