What's new

Jailbroken...........or is it?

SomeDude

Reaction score
Greetings All,

Just used the latest version of redsn0w to jailbreak the phone/install cydia and I think something went awry. I have a 3Gs and it said everything installed ok, it said to reboot tethered which I did and there is a blank icon for cydia on the screen. When I tap on it, a screen begins to come up and then the main screen with basic wallpaper/icons reappears. I double click on the home button and it shows that cydia is running, so what am I missing? How do I begin to do things like change the ringtone to a custom one? Help?

Cheers,
S

Please don't cross post the same question across the site. I'll delete your other threads.

Post which version of IOS you have tried to jailbreak and confirm what redsn0w you used and we'll see if we can help.

Sounds like you are on a tethered jailbreak. If so, you need to run the jailbreak process again. This time only check the box that says 'just boot tethered right now'.

Since it's a tethered jailbreak so you will have to do this every time your phone turns off or reboots...

Ok, 1st off my apologies about cross threading. I hadn't realized I posted in the wrong spot (initially). 2nd I have to go through this EVERY time I turn the phone on? Wow! All I want to do is install a couple of ringtones & change the color/appearance of the texting screen. Having never done this before, is there a way to save all that so that I don't have to create it from scratch every time I start? BTW, running system 4.3.5 (8L1) on a 3Gs and the redsn0w is 9.9b1 and was downloaded from this site.
Hey guys, how are things in your corner of the world? Visited the Highlands Easter weekend of '04 and loved the place!

Cheers,
S

That's a tethered jailbreak for you. Hopefully there will be an untethered soon after iOS 5 is here. You don't have to jailbreak to install custom ringtones but you do if you wish to theme.

Its good here. Had a heat wave at the end of last month, over 20 degrees! Unheard of in Scotland during September! Winter is setting in fast now and the trams still aren't finished! Lol...

Sorry i have to convert that into farenheight, I'm thinking you were in the 80's? So were we and the friggen rain wouldn't let up!!! Just keep churning out that Bowmore single malt!!!
Question: Can I use a ringtone that WASN'T purchased in itunes? I found a kind of how-to on youtube, but one of the features you had to click on itunes, wasn't on my version of it. As a result, it wouldn't work.

Cheers,
SD

SomeDude said:
Sorry i have to convert that into farenheight, I'm thinking you were in the 80's? So were we and the friggen rain wouldn't let up!!! Just keep churning out that Bowmore single malt!!!
Question: Can I use a ringtone that WASN'T purchased in itunes? I found a kind of how-to on youtube, but one of the features you had to click on itunes, wasn't on my version of it. As a result, it wouldn't work.

Cheers,
SD

You can use ringtones not purchased through iTunes. In fact you can make your own. Just convert them to m4r.

You can use ringtones not purchased through iTunes. In fact you can make your own. Just convert them to m4r.

Yes, I found a tutorial on youtube that shows you how, only one of the steps was to go into the options panel, highlighting something called "ACC" and then saving. Only problem is that my current version of itunes doesn't have that tab (ACC). Am I not running the latest version, or am I missing something?

SomeDude said:
Yes, I found a tutorial on youtube that shows you how, only one of the steps was to go into the options panel, highlighting something called "ACC" and then saving. Only problem is that my current version of itunes doesn't have that tab (ACC). Am I not running the latest version, or am I missing something?

Right click on the song in iTunes and scroll down to create aac version.

It's not a song, it's a sound effect that I edited. it's in recently added and when I right click on it, I see no option for AAC. I see an option for "get info" on the tutorial that was step 2.

SomeDude said:
It's not a song, it's a sound effect that I edited. it's in recently added and when I right click on it, I see no option for AAC. I see an option for "get info" on the tutorial that was step 2.

1) To make this easier without confusion. Just install that sound effect on to your device on your iPhone in mp3 format and download iPhone ringtone maker from the app store and convert and sync it over that way.

2) download and install Xilisoft IPhone Ringtone maker.

SomeDude said:
Hmmmmmm, ok. Do I get these through Cydia, or the app store? Thanks for your help.

You can download the ringtone maker from the app store and Xilisoft on the computer.