What's new

Jailbroken iPhone stuck in Recovery mode

AxleGTR

Reaction score
Hey, I have a serious problem.

I own an iPhone 4S and it has been jailbroken for around 8 months and I've had no issues.
Recently, I was trying to update it to version 6.0.1 from 5.1.1.
I don't know a huge amount about the technicalities, but it's stuck on this screen with a USB and iTunes logo.
I have attempted all the button combinations that have been demonstrated on youtube to take it out of recovery mode multiple times.
I have tried, redsn0w, sn0wbreeze, recboot and tinyumbrella. Nothing is working, perhaps clearer instructions or details may help?
Tinyumbrella when you click exit recovery is supposed to make the apple logo appear and stay on correct? Well my iPhone apple logo stays on for a few seconds, then turns off then back on again, then goes back to USB and iTunes logo.
I have tried restoring it on iTunes, still stuck on the USB with the iTunes logo.
I'm getting desperate, I'd rather not lose all my photos and contacts, if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
I had this same issue. What happened was I tried installing the new firmware through custom ipsw. The installed failed midst of the phone connected and now the phone probably has an incompleted installation files or corrupt install. Only thing I could do was download directly from iTunes ipsw download and hold home and power till phone shuts off. Right when it turns off (if you're not quick enough, phone will boot to iTunes and cable picture- infinite recovery loop), hold power for 3 seconds, apple logo shows then hold power and home for 10 secs. When screen is off, let go of home and let the phone reboot. iTunes should say recovery, this is where you can select the iOS 6.0.1 ipsw. Should work. I had to repeat the last part a couple times but it worked for me. I'm now on iOS 6.0.1 tether jb

Oh...ps- I don't think your photos and documents will be recoverable. Just what I think from my past experience

@chasea, he was on a jailbroken iOS 5.1.1 but he hit a brick wall while upgrading to iOS 6.0.1, so he's no longer jailbroken....

You'd most likely have to DFU it before trying to restore it using any method as drchiou said. You can use either RedSn0w or iTunes to perform the restore afterwards. Do make sure that you're not experimenting with anything at this point because you can potentially brick your device if it isn't already. I've seen cases of the baseband being updated part way and was interrupted and caused the device to brick. So depending on which part your restoration failed, you may be in a bit of trouble.

Hey, I have a serious problem.

I own an iPhone 4S and it has been jailbroken for around 8 months and I've had no issues.
Recently, I was trying to update it to version 6.0.1 from 5.1.1
I don't know a huge amount about the technicalities, but it's stuck on this screen with a USB and iTunes logo.
I have attempted all the button combinations that have been demonstrated on youtube to take it out of recovery mode multiple times.
I have tried, redsn0w, sn0wbreeze, recboot and tinyumbrella. Nothing is working, perhaps clearer instructions or details may help?
Tinyumbrella when you click exit recovery is supposed to make the apple logo appear and stay on correct? Well my iPhone apple logo stays on for a few seconds, then turns off then back on again, then goes back to USB and iTunes logo.
I have tried restoring it on iTunes, still stuck on the USB with the iTunes logo.
I'm getting desperate, I'd rather not lose all my photos and contacts, if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Try this from apple support:Resolve iOS update and restore errors in iTunes

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this same issue. What happened was I tried installing the new firmware through custom ipsw. The installed failed midst of the phone connected and now the phone probably has an incompleted installation files or corrupt install. Only thing I could do was download directly from iTunes ipsw download and hold home and power till phone shuts off. Right when it turns off (if you're not quick enough, phone will boot to iTunes and cable picture- infinite recovery loop), hold power for 3 seconds, apple logo shows then hold power and home for 10 secs. When screen is off, let go of home and let the phone reboot. iTunes should say recovery, this is where you can select the iOS 6.0.1 ipsw. Should work. I had to repeat the last part a couple times but it worked for me. I'm now on iOS 6.0.1 tether jb
I have the same problem, too. I found many way about these, but they work for me.