What's new

Jailbreakme removal on ios 4.0.1

arsa13

Reaction score
Hi there. I didn't realize how sensitive the buttons were in cydia after jailbreaking my iPhone4 last night with ios 4.0.1 and accidentally hit the no option (instead of "yes, make my life easier") when I first opened cydia. I figured ok, no problem at least you should be able to revert back to stock 4.0.1 firmware after doing a restore, but that didn't work because even though cydia wasn't on my home screen after the restore it was still installed. I know this because as soon as I went to jailbreakme.com and hit the slider it was done downloading and immediately started to install cydia. Furthermore when I opened up cydia after the restore it still didn't give me that very first screen that I screwed up on.

I just want to get back to that screen.

I've been trying to figure out what to do but I haven't been able to find any info.

Should I put my iPhone into dfu mode and then do a restore to 4.0.1?

Am I screwed completely and now I can't undo my mistake?

Is there a terminal command I can type in to fix this?

I feel like a BIG dummy just because I hit the wrong button and now I fear the worst.

I'd appreciate any and all help.

Thanks

I finally got my iPhone4 in DFU mode, so I'm gonna try to fix it that way.

I'll let you all know how it goes though.

After putting it in DFU mode and doing a full restore and sync I'm still not able to change the setting to yes.
I'm beginning to think I'm screwed.

Well I'm 99% certain now that I'm screwed. I went to erase all user data and settings and now my iphone is stuck on the apple logo startup screen... Any help at this point would be great!

Scratch that. I kept holding the power and home buttons and somehow got it into DFU mode again. I'll try restoring the firmware first this time. That way I can see if the jailbreak works right away. If it does, then I'll continue on to restore my data. If not then I'm not sure what I'll do.

One more update. I restored iOS 4.0.1 one last time and did a full restore and sync and am going to keep my iphone4 'stock' for a while until someone can either help me out or I get my iPhone exchanged. The jailbreak is still there, I just haven't run the installer yet, so here's to hoping that someone can help me out.

Last edited:
Well, it's a fairly big problem if you want to revert back to stock firmware in order to keep the apple warranty intact.

If the warranty doesn't matter to you, it shouldn't be a huge problem unless you need to erase the jailbreak completely.

The long and short of it so far is that as far as I can tell our iphones now permanently have the files necessary for the jailbreak on them. I know this because I've tried to erase everything and start fresh many times now to no avail.

I guess unless there's a terminal command that I'm unaware of, we are screwed.

..well since Jailbreaking is technically "legal" ..I wonder if Apple will still warranty our phones?? So pretty much the jailbreak files are permanently on our phones???

Last edited:
Apple's TOS (Terms of Service) strictly prohibit jailbreaking or unlocking. If you do either of them your automatically void your warranty. Just because it's legal doesn't mean your warranty is still intact. In theory we could sue Apple for not allowing us to jailbreak our phones because it is legal now, but I'm not up for that.

I'll hit you up with a PM to give you my two cents on what we can do.

As far as I know the files are permanently on our phone. No one has been able to tell or prove otherwise yet.

Hi guys, why not use a program called Tiny Umbrella. (mac only I think) which backs up your blobs for you.

Hello. You are not out of luck here. As the person above mentioned, you can use Tiny Umbrella to back up your SHSH blobs. They can be backed up onto your computer and onto saurik's server, as if you did choose yes at the make my life easier prompt. Google the program it's very easy to use and works on both mac and pc If you do it correctly, you should start seeing "SHSH blobs for this device are backed up for 4.0.1" at the top of the Cydia homepage.

Thanks so much! I'll try it as soon as I get home tonight around 7pm cst.

Thanks again! I was about to try exchanging it at the apple store tonight, but hopefully this will work!

Jailbreaking voids the warranty. With my previous 3GS I jailbroke it the day I got it. After a few months I reverted back to stock. Ended up bringing it in for the datalink port not working several months after I removed the jailbreak crap. They wouldn't warrant it saying it had been previously jailbroken. I claimed to have not known anything about it but thru their file manager they were able to show me files left behind from cydia.

Jailbreaking voids the warranty. With my previous 3GS I jailbroke it the day I got it. After a few months I reverted back to stock. Ended up bringing it in for the datalink port not working several months after I removed the jailbreak crap. They wouldn't warrant it saying it had been previously jailbroken. I claimed to have not known anything about it but thru their file manager they were able to show me files left behind from cydia.

I know it breaks the warranty. I'm not debating that.

I have heard however that whatever data is on the iphone including the files put on the jailbroken phone are erased when it's restored properly. (I'm specifically referring to the iPhone4 jailbreak.) Even if they are not erased I can still just brick it...

Regardless I'm in the process right now of using tiny umbrella to restore my iphone4 with the proper shsh blob.

If the files are still on there after this restore then I know to fear the worst.

Well, even tiny unbrella didn't fix it. Now I know my shsh blob is saved, however the jailbreak is still on my iphone no matter what I do.

The proof that it's still on there:
1) Whenever I start the phone and see the apple logo (a cold boot I guess) there's a couple lines of random colored pixels at the top of the black screen.
2) The jailbreak doesn't ever take more than a second or two to "download" off the jailbreakme site. The first time I KNOW it took more than a minute or so to download.

So, I guess my warranty is officially and forever voided.