What's new

Jailbreak 7.0.4 to Jailbreak 7.0.6

HGolightly

Reaction score
I have a 5s that is running on a jailbreak for iOS 7.0.4. If I want to jailbreak to 7.0.6 how do I do this seamlessly without loosing the tweaks I already have with the iOS 7.0.4 jailbreak?

Buying and using PKGBackup, download OpenBackup or, using this. A small handful of users have attempted the custom update by holding shift or control and clicking Check For Updates, and selecting the 7.0.6 IPSW. It basically was a one-way ticket to upgrade without restoring your device. Some users were adventurous enough to try it while jailbroken, and a small handful managed to get it working, which basically yielded them an upgraded iOS, but all data intact. I've tried it a few times, and it only miraculously worked once. Also note that the "backdoor" that was applicable with this method was patched because users were installed unwarranted beta IPSWs. Since then, it's been patched and has stricter checks, so it probably won't work.

To be safe, backup using iTunes, use PKGBackup/OpenBackup or the above tutorial method, and restore. Then restore your packages and sources.

I have an iphone 5s jailbroken. I want to update my OS to 7.0.6. I have OpenBackup and have already created a backup of my Cydia tweaks etc. When I try to restore my device the only option iTunes gives me is to update and restore. Should I choose this option or will it cause problems?

I have an iphone 5s jailbroken. I want to update my OS to 7.0.6. I have OpenBackup and have already created a backup of my Cydia tweaks etc. When I try to restore my device the only option iTunes gives me is to update and restore. Should I choose this option or will it cause problems?

Place the device into DFU mode, and click Restore.

DFU stands for device firmware update, which is used at a lower level of the boot loader of the device, which is what's used in Recovery Mode. Usually for jailbroken devices, you'd want to put the device into DFU mode over Recovery Mode as the boot loader can be an obstacle in restoring depending on what you've been doing on your device. To put your device into DFU mode, you can follow this guide here. It may take several times to get it to work depending on how you time it, but the end result is that your device is plugged in, and you do not see the Recovery Mode screen, and the screen appears to be pitch black as if it's locked, but if you press the power button or home button, the screen does not light up.

The tutorial seems really complicated. I think I am just going to stay on iOS 7.0.4 for now.

You can download OpenBackup from Cydia and use that instead as well.

I was going to update to 7.0.6 but when i check for updates on my 4S , i just see the spinning wheel (it says checking for update)FOREVER, it never shows the update !

I was going to update to 7.0.6 but when i check for updates on my 4S , i just see the spinning wheel (it says checking for update)FOREVER, it never shows the update !

If your phone is jail broken with the evasi0n7 tool - that tool blocks over-the-air updates. If you want to upgrade to iOS 7.0.6, on a jail broken phone, you'll have to restore via iTunes (by pressing the "Restore" button or using the shift/restore method with a pre-downloaded IPSW file).

Marilyn

If your phone is jail broken with the evasi0n7 tool - that tool blocks over-the-air updates. If you want to upgrade to iOS 7.0.6, on a jail broken phone, you'll have to restore via iTunes (by pressing the "Restore" button or using the shift/restore method with a pre-downloaded IPSW file).

Marilyn

Thanks, i figured this out after i posted this..I guess my eyes were tired from all the sifting through and reading up on this ! LOL