What's new

iTunes Backup problem - affect upgrade/JB?

bingoldsby

Reaction score
I've tried to get some answers on this through the iPad Forum, as I'm in the same boat with the iPad, but nobody seems to know (or care).

My iPhone 4 - 4.2.8 JB (and my iPad 2 - 4.3.3 JB ) will not perform a backup with the latest version of iTunes. I just get a message that the backup could not be made, as a backup session could not be started. I have looked at some other discussions on this issue and tried some suggestions, but I'm getting no result.

I have the .ipsw files for both the iPhone and the iPad on my computer. My Internet connection, through my iPhone only, is so bad that I will not be able to do a normal upgrade to 5.0.1. Therefore, I had a friend download the files and send them to me on disk, and I would do a "manual upgrade."

The question is: will the backup failure also cause the upgrade of the new firmware to fail?? I have two-month-old backup files (one for phone and one for pad) left on the computer, and am fine with their "freshness."

I don't want to get in the middle of this process (which is going to be a bit tricky for me - because my Internet is through the iPhone only - the one I want to be upgrading) and get stuck because of a refusal of iTunes to make it through the backup proceedure which is normally a part of the upgrading process.

I hope this dilemma is clear enough for someone to help me with. Thank you very much.