What's new

Is there a way to add more sounds for the iphone?

lynxsc

Reaction score
stuff like sms and email notification etc. I dont want anything gimicky just normal like on other phones with a bunch to choose from.

in Cydia i know there is some SMS Tones just search it.

I use ToneFX which replaces the sound effects on the iPhone 4. It is located in Cydia.

I also have Super Mario Brothers 1 up sound effect for new emails. Its kinda dorky, but its cool too..

I have my own sounds that I've custom made. Is there any way to load them on to my iPhone 4?

jailbreak...
banner.png

I have my own sounds that I've custom made. Is there any way to load them on to my iPhone 4?

Jailbroken or stock phone?

My phone is stock. However, I have been able to add my custom sounds thanks to info I read here on the forums.

All I did was import all of my ringtones into iTunes (they appeared in the music section), I converted them to AAC files (giving them the file extension .m4a), I then deleted them from the iTunes library (but not the files themselves), opened up the folder where they were kept and changed the extensions to .m4r, after which I then added them back into iTunes where they appeared in the Ringtones section. I was then able to move them on to my iPhone and assign my ringtones to various contacts.

I can't jailbreak my phone yet as I have OS 4.0.2 and there currently is no jailbreak for it since 4.1 is slated to be released any day now.

jailbreak is one to do it, or there is a chance that you can download the sountracks from the youtube video or download the sound you like, aneesoft is a good app for that.

stuff like sms and email notification etc. I dont want anything gimicky just normal like on other phones with a bunch to choose from.

If you don't want to JB, try PhoneZoo. It's a free site, and you can choose from tons of ringtones, text tones, or make your own. All can be downloaded easily directly into iTunes. Then just sync your phone with iTunes, and you're good to go.:)

My phone is stock. However, I have been able to add my custom sounds thanks to info I read here on the forums.

All I did was import all of my ringtones into iTunes (they appeared in the music section), I converted them to AAC files (giving them the file extension .m4a), I then deleted them from the iTunes library (but not the files themselves), opened up the folder where they were kept and changed the extensions to .m4r, after which I then added them back into iTunes where they appeared in the Ringtones section. I was then able to move them on to my iPhone and assign my ringtones to various contacts.

Thanks for the tip. Can you please tell me how to add them back to iTunes and where is the ringtone section....I can't seem to find it ;-(

I found how to add ringtones section in iTunes and converted and added all my favorite ringtones.....now , all I need is my new iPhone !!!!

Last edited:
I wasn't just talking about contact ringtones. How about lock & unlock sounds, texts sent & received, e-mails sent & received, camera click, charging phone, etc. None of this can be added without jailbreaking. Even if you use CyberDuck to access the files within the phone, you will have to re-do your work, every time that you upgrade your IOS.