What's new

Is it possible to use locked Iphone with app, camera & wifi?

Scanner Man

Reaction score
I use Iphone app to take inventory using the camera and barcodes. We use the camera to read the barcode and put in a quantity. At the end of the day the iphone connects to wifi and sends the data to the cloud. We have been using my personal iphone, but I'd like to use a device not connected to a carrier. Basically I'd like to get an inexpensive blocked iphone, download the app via the app store and wifi, and use it as a dedicated scanner with the camera. I can't find anything on the web about this. Iphones are blocked, blacklisted, etc. It is not clear what state an iphone needs to be in to accomplish above activites. Can anyone help clarify this?
Thank you.

Since you won't be using the device as a phone, have you considered getting a used or refurbished iPod touch instead? You can save even more by getting one if the smaller storage options.

Thank you for the suggestion. Will check it out. I still don't understand the different locking definitions. Are the devices that are out there for sale for parts, because they are locked, blocked, etc - can they be used via wifi - basically your exact suggestion - can they be used as an ipod touch?

An iPhone that's been blacklisted is almost certainly stolen. It's not a good idea to buy such an iPhone. iCloud activation locked iPhones are also likely stolen and can't be used at all without inputting the iCloud ID and password of the original owner.