What's new

is it bad to leave your phone on the charger for long periods of time?

MacGuyver

Reaction score
Does it damage the battery to leave the phone plugged into the charger for days at a time?

I have an iPhone 3G that I rarely use any more since I got a 5S , and some times I just leave it plugged in to the charger. I was thinking it would be better to have it remain charged than leaving it and have the battery go dead.

Even if you turn the phone off completely , the battery will still die eventually, no?

So , what's the best thing to do?
Can you overcharge the battery and thus damage it?

Does it damage the battery to leave the phone plugged into the charger for days at a time?

I have an iPhone 3G that I rarely use any more since I got a 5S , and some times I just leave it plugged in to the charger. I was thinking it would be better to have it remain charged than leaving it and have the battery go dead.

Even if you turn the phone off completely , the battery will still die eventually, no?

So , what's the best thing to do?
Can you overcharge the battery and thus damage it?

It is not healthy for the phone to leave it plugged in to the charger for days. 1 day is okay, but more is tricky.

It's better to fully charge the battery and turn it off.. You're battery will at least last a several months. If you're planning on putting it away for years, you can wrap it in a plastic bag, hermetically closed, double bag it and put in the freezer. That will keep your battery from dying. Make sure it is charged before you do so.

Yes, the battery daemon is designed to protect for overcharging, but it can't protect it for longer than a few days.

Last edited:
It is not healthy for the phone to leave it plugged in to the charger for days. 1 day is okay, but more is tricky.

It's better to fully charge the battery and turn it off.. You're battery will at least last a several months. If you're planning on putting it away for years, you can wrap it in a plastic bag, hermetically closed, double bag it and put in the freezer. That will keep your battery from dying. Make sure it is charged before you do so.

Yes, the battery daemon is designed to protect for overcharging, but it's can't protect it longer than a few days.

This is not 1995, every battery has smart charging technology which trickle charges past 80% and shuts off at 99.2%. There is no harm to leaving an iPhone on constant charge. Your battery longevity is the same either way.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

One note of caution i would like to add, Fires have been caused by leaving phones on charge for long periods unattended, These were from some types of chargers bought from other sources and not the ones supplied originally with the phones, There was a report just in the last couple of days here in the UK of just such an incident.

This is not 1995, every battery has smart charging technology which trickle charges past 80% and shuts off at 99.2%. There is no harm to leaving an iPhone on constant charge. Your battery longevity is the same either way.

I wouldn't go that far before hearing it from officials. I care too much about my devices and am careful about everything battery related

behupeje.jpg

Only if you do this....

Sent from my iPhone

No bro its not bad
Cuz there is diode in every cell phone who's handling charging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE="Armand2REP; cl my battary keep going dead On my iphone5 can u tell me y Plz thanks And it's Does last me a day Wot iPhone is the best

Sometime I also think about this question and think that it can damage phone's battery. But thank you for this justified answer.

Lets get some verifiable facts out about consumer grade lithium-Ion batteries. Feel free to go read any number of white papers on the subject.

1) Leaving an iPhone on its official charger 24/7 for one year will not damage or harm the battery any more than fully charging and fully depleting the same battery every day for one year.

2) Consumer grade lithium-ion batteries have no memory issues. That means if the battery is rated for 500 full cycle charges, it doesn't matter if you drain it and charge 1000 times at 50% or 2000 times at 25%. The battery is designed to functional identically.

3) Consumer grade lithium-ion batteries are rated to only have 80% of its original charge capacity at the end of its full cycle charge life.

So where do some of the myths about leaving a phone on a charger come from? That's easy. A failure occurred. Either a non Apple made charger was in use. A battery failure. Overheating of the battery while charging. Faulty grounding. Pretty simple actually.

Now to respond to a few misinformed posts.

Yes, the battery daemon is designed to protect for overcharging, but it can't protect it for longer than a few days.

Every single white paper written by every single battery manufacturer for consumer grade lithium-ion batteries recommend that you store the battery at 40% charge with nothing connected to either battery terminal. Your recommendation will actually cause the device to fail in one of three fashions. Battery leakage thru its casing. Anode or cathode plating. Terminal oxidation.

The battery daemon doesn't protect the battery from overcharging. If that was true, there would be no reports of iPhones exploding or catching fire. Since there is more than enough evidence of this occurring lets look at the leading causes.

1) The battery has reached thermal runaway, a form of self heating, from the battery being too hot while charging. The battery could be too hot from either exposure or a flaw in the charging circuit.

2) The battery has been damaged.

3) The battery is grounded improperly or is shorted across a circuit that can handle the amperage.

No bro its not bad
Cuz there is diode in every cell phone who's handling charging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diodes are discreet components that help keep the flow of electrons from reversing. And on there own have nothing to do with "handling charging". Now diodes can be used in electrical circuits to help stop a run away current or voltage situation from reaching the remaining components. But the charging is actually handled by a series of components where a diode only plays a very small role.