What's new

iPhone4 restore error

dpninal

Reaction score
I was trying to download some files to my iPhone4, when iTunes prompted me that an iPhone is in recovery mode and must be restored before it can be used by iTunes.

I clicked on 'restore and update' and it tried to restore the software on my iPhone. after a while it gives an error:

The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1604) or a variation such as (14) or some other number.

I have never been able to use my iPhone since then, because now it doesn't start up, and simply showed the USB pointing to the iTunes logo.

I am a new convert to iPhone, but this is horrible. Can somebody help me, please?

what did you do to add the files to your device? it is strange that it would suddenly out of nowhere tell you that its in recovery

try kick the device out of recovery by doing a hard reset (hold power button and home button together for about 10 seconds)

then try a DFU restore

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

i was trying to sync my iPhone with iTunes when this happened. I tried the hard reset but it continues to show that image of a usb pointing to the iTunes logo.

I've just deleted the new apps I downloaded (just in case it has something to do with it). I will keep on trying and hope to find something. Thanks

I had a similar problem today while upgrading to 5.0.1 before jailbreaking. iTunes on my main computer wouldnt let me restore (or anything). I got error code 21 and also the same symbol on my phone. Finally tried to restore on another computer and it worked perfectly. Try that or maybe removing and reinstalling iTunes.

Thanks a lot, Jenkins283. It worked. I installed iTunes in one of my older computers and restored my iPhone on it, and i worked perfectly, indeed.