What's new

iPhone won't connect to computer

sid316

Reaction score
Lately, when I want to connect my iPhone 6s to my computer it does not show up when I open File Explorer on my computer. Any ideas what may be happening?

Lately, when I want to connect my iPhone 6s to my computer it does not show up when I open File Explorer on my computer. Any ideas what may be happening?

I’d start with the lead and then try another USB port, but I suspect you’ve tried that. Just in case.

Mike

Also, make sure the phone is 'awake' when you plug it in

A bit more info may help:
1. Assuming you're using a PC, what version of Windows are you using.
2. Which version of iOS is installed on your phone.
I had the same issue with my iPhone 7 on Windows 7 recently and found that after trying all the usual remedies, un-installing ALL of the programs iTunes installs and then reinstalling iTunes solved my problem. If you decide to go this route here are the instructions.
Use the Control Panel to un-install iTunes and all of its components; do so in the following order only:
1. iTunes
2. Apple Software Update
3. Apple Mobile Device Support
4. Bonjour
5. Apple Application Support 32-bit
6. Apple Application Support 64-bit

On some systems, iTunes may install both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Application Support. Be sure to un-install both versions. It is not necessary to restart your computer until after the last component has been uninstalled. Following the restart of your computer, re-install the latest version of iTunes and again reboot your computer and you should be back to normal. All the components listed above must be uninstalled in the order given otherwise you may experience unexpected issues.
Good luck and let us know if and how you solved your issue.

Check the first post. He said it not showing up in File Explorer. Must use iTunes.

Once an iPhone is connected to a PC running Windows 7 or above you should be able to view your phone's internal storage in the Windows File Explorer window, an iTunes installation is not necessary to do this. I do this all the time to take photos and videos from the phone and put them on a computer without iTunes in order to process them further. iTunes is on a different computer that I sync my phone with. I just connected my iPhone 7 to a fresh install of Windows 7 and was able to see my phone's internal storage and could see and copy any photos or videos to the PC. Subsequent versions of Windows treat an iPhone the same way.