What's new

iPhone Users Launch Lawsuits Against Apple for Slowing Down Old Phones

You realize that if Apple had not slowed down the iPhones with degraded batteries we'd be seeing lawsuits about iPhones shutting down when they can't get enough power. What amazes me is that people can't seem to accept that lithium batteries degrade with time and use. Several of these lawsuits refer to the worn out batteries as defective and say Apple should replace them at no cost to the consumer.

Reactions: 933
You realize that if Apple had not slowed down the iPhones with degraded batteries we'd be seeing lawsuits about iPhones shutting down when they can't get enough power. What amazes me is that people can't seem to accept that lithium batteries degrade with time and use. Several of these lawsuits refer to the worn out batteries as defective and say Apple should replace them at no cost to the consumer.

I have the same batteries in electronic cars made by an American Company, they to lose charge over time nobody is running to sue them. The only difference is compared to Apple they are seeds.

I think the biggest factor is not so much the slowing down but the underhanded tactic of not telling people that this is by design. If I know that around 1.5 years my battery will degrade enough that it could cause the phone to shut down and I know that to help prevent/reduce this the software automatically adjusts then I have a decision to make - pay Apple to replace the battery or buy a newer version. Eventually I will buy a new phone because the software itself will demand more CPU power / RAM / etc but not a year or so after paying for my current model.

Isn't the logical solution for apple not monetary, but rather allow the user to back-rev to IOS 10 if they wish? I need to use the search function, but do users have the ability to back-rev currently without jailbreak?

That has been done in the PC world for years. If the latest version of windows slows your machine down, back-rev it and live with older versions, known issues or bugs. Game over.

Just curious, please feel free to flame me for not doing a search before posting.

The problem is caused by excessive CPU demands on a worn out battery that cannot supply enough current for peak demands. Replacing the battery solves the problem. While running a newer iOS version on an older device can cause this problem, it can also happen on an older iOS version if the battery is weak enough.

That's cool and I agree with what they did. But the two iphones that I passed along to my parents, after buying iphone 8's were running perfect, and had in excess of a full day's battery life before IOS 11. And once upgraded, we all joked about how they both took a performance hit and battery life dropped noticeably. The joke was the built in obsolescence obviously caused by the IOS upgrade.

They didn't do me any favors by cutting it's performance. As I should have the choice of performance over battery life. As I could care less if I get 1 day or 1.5 days of battery life. My goal is to not have 1/2 day or 3/4 of a day of battery life and bad performance.

Isn't the logical solution for apple not monetary, but rather allow the user to back-rev to IOS 10 if they wish? I need to use the search function, but do users have the ability to back-rev currently without jailbreak?

That has been done in the PC world for years. If the latest version of windows slows your machine down, back-rev it and live with older versions, known issues or bugs. Game over.

Just curious, please feel free to flame me for not doing a search before posting.

Apple should have a hard time letting people go back to an iOS that is less secure. I'm sure they would be sued for that as well.

That’s true and my mom don’t upgrade every year it’s expensive for her
One does not need to upgrade every year if you are a light user 4 years or is reasonable as at some point the battery will fail. My partner has a iPhone 5s more than 2 years old. No sign of slowing down as she is not a heavy user.

Well there you go that is more than a steal and frankly a great offer. One needs to read the full transcript of the explanation to understand clearly what this is about. The money hungry lawyers world wide are hyperventilating over how much money they will get by filing class action claims. It will be very interesting to say the least. Funny thing is Microsoft did the same with windows 8 installed as a upgrade on 7 pcs. Yet no one sued makes one wonder. Microsoft never apologized they just forced users to upgrade regardless of what pc they owned

Well there you go that is more than a steal and frankly a great offer. One needs to read the full transcript of the explanation to understand clearly what this is about. The money hungry lawyers world wide are hyperventilating over how much money they will get by filing class action claims. It will be very interesting to say the least. Funny thing is Microsoft did the same with windows 8 installed as a upgrade on 7 pcs. Yet no one sued makes one wonder. Microsoft never apologized they just forced users to upgrade regardless of what pc they owned
Then there were the forced Windows 10 upgrades.