What's new

Iphone users in Colombia, watch out for a nasty workaround to avoid IOS7 protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonia_complix

Reaction score
IPHONE IOS7 USERS- I think I have been scammed in Colombia so I share my story to avoid other victims... please share.

If you do not have time to read further, REMEMBER THIS: don't remove your stolen iphone from iCloud. Wipe it, don't remove it.

My iphone was stolen end of September but it was still linked to my iCloud. I had wiped data but not removed the device from the list.

Yesterday I received a call from a company supposed to be "Apple contractor" and they told me that Apple was sponsoring a service to track stolen phones and have the police recollect them from the person that was using them in that moment. They would arrest the guy, bla bla bla...

The only thing I had to do was accept the procedure, connect to my iCloud profile and disconnect my phone live on the call so they could immediately track it with their systems. The lady on the phone was super kind, supporting me step by step. She finally said <<ok. I only need to run a system to catch the precise location of your phone and I will call you back in 10 mins>>. She never called back.

SOLUTION: I called Apple support. There is no such a service. The reason of the call is a feature in IOS7 that does not allow the phone to be reset and/or linked to another iCloud account until you remove it from the previous iCloud account and you can do that ONLY if you know the password....

CONCLUSION: I was probably on the phone with the thief or some friend of him/her and I kindly unlocked my ex iPhone, with the illusion to get it back, and instead delivering it to my thiefs.

Hello,
We are sorry that this has happened to you, We would like to remind members that Apple will never contact customers out of the blue like that, The only time Apple will ring you is if a call back has ben scheduled, If in doubt always check with Apple and never give any details to someone you don't know the identity of, With that i will close this thread, Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.