What's new

Please help - iPhone 4s issue

hevspu

Reaction score
Hello,
I have an iPhone 4s which I can't use. I wanted to save everything on it to my iCloud but to do so, I had to update the software. iTunes tried to install ios 8 which I've since learned isn't compatible. Now, the phone is permanently stuck with the cable icon and the iTunes icon. I've called the Apple helpline but they want to charge me £25 for talking to them and I can't afford it.

I'm wondering if it is possible to download ios7 from somewhere (where?!) and manually update this phone so I don't lose everything. I'm not sure how to do this or if it's possible. I have an iPhone 5 which I've borrowed until I can fix this and I've managed to update the iPhone 5 to the latest ios software and back up on iTunes and iCloud so will this cause a problem if I try to download ios7 and update my own iPhone 4s?

Many thanks to anyone that can help.
Heather

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Heather!

Your iPhone 4s is in recovery mode, which is why you can't restore it the usual way. You'll have to use this procedure to restore it:
If you can t update or restore your iPhone iPad or iPod touch - Apple Support

If it really is an iPhone 4s, it is compatible with iOS 8.4. This is the only software you'll be able to install at the moment. It's not possible to get a different software version onto your device. Recovery mode will get your device up to date as well, btw. iTunes will download the software and install it on your device.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Heather!

Your iPhone 4s is in recovery mode, which is why you can't restore it the usual way. You'll have to use this procedure to restore it:
If you can t update or restore your iPhone iPad or iPod touch - Apple Support

If it really is an iPhone 4s, it is compatible with iOS 8.4. This is the only software you'll be able to install at the moment. It's not possible to get a different software version onto your device. Recovery mode will get your device up to date as well, btw. iTunes will download the software and install it on your device.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for responding. If I follow the instructions on the link, will it wipe all my pictures etc? Is there a way to keep them and get the phone working without wiping everything? Thanks again.

Restoring will set back your iPhone to factory settings, which means that everything will be removed, all the settings will be back to default. If you have a most recent backup, almost everything can be restored afterwards.

The iPhone is already in recovery mode. It's possible, but not sure, that your photos will disappear. That depends on your settings.

If you haven't backed up recently:
Try to reset your iPhone, maybe this will help getting it out of recovery mode. To reset, press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Then let go of both. Your device will power up on it's own.

If it does, backup your device, either to iCloud or iTunes, whichever you prefer.
This site will show you what's included in a backup:
About backups in iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support

Then restore your device.

Hope that helps.