What's new

iPhone upgrade - syncing?

srlanza

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 4S and will shortly have an iPhone 5 as a replacement. I know I need to sync everything from my old iPhone before exchanging it. When I have the new phone, I know that via iCloud & iTunes, my music, contacts, iBooks, bookmarks, calendar, etc. will automatically sync to the new phone. But, there are a few things that I don't if they sync. Since apps are all in iTunes, I assume they will sync to the new phone. What about all the app settings I have on the "old" phone - will those sync or will I have to go through and re-do all app settings on the new phone? Same for Apple apps, for example, will my settings for Mail, Contacts, & Calendar sync along with the data? Settings for my wi-fi network? Mail accounts other than iCloud?
I just want to be prepared for what doesn't transfer, so I can make notes before turning in the old phone for the new phone.

Thanks very much.

Do a full backup on your computer so that you're not limited to the 5GB iCloud storage space (unless you paid for an expansion). It'll sync your contacts, texts, notes, reminders, settings, mail accounts, calendar events, etc. Once you have your new phone, plug it into your PC, and Authorize this PC in the Store tab, enter the Apple ID credentials that's on your new phone, and restore the backup.

Thank you. Just to clarify, do you mean backing up my iPhone to my Mac using iTunes? Or are you referring to another way to backup the phone? Also, should I deauthorize the old phone before exchanging it?

Yup, to your computer or in your case, your Mac. And nope. If you're exchanging it for another phone at Apple, they'll wipe the device after you've been given a new one, so all old data and links are severed and deleted. If you're talking about your phone number and all, once you switch your SIM over or if you get a new SIM, the new device a ESN or ECID will be tied to your number, replacing the old one

Last edited: