What's new

iPhone Trade In Promotion At Best Buy

rain6460

Reaction score
Hello,
Out here in Sacramento, Ca., Best Buy is doing free upgrades to iPhone 5 with certain carriers if you have a working 4 or 4s to trade in that's in good condition. I think all you have to pay for is the tax and probably an activation fee from your carrier.

I was wondering if anyone else here has done this, and if Best Buy is charging the tax on the FULL retail price ($699), or the upgrade price of $150? Thanks.

Jeff

I upgraded from the 4s to the 5 through AT&T and paid the $50 tax and the upgrade was free so that sounds about right.

Traded iPhone 4 for iPhone 5 even money ($149.00) at RadioShack last week without any problem.
A very good deal. Paid activation with this
as well as renewed two year AT&T plan.
Not sure deal still available.
Drjoepa

Thanks for the responses. Just did the upgrade at Best Buy a few hours ago. Everything went well...$150 upgrade price with 2 year contract ext., offset with $150 gift card. So my cost was only the tax. However, be prepared for tax on the full retail price of the phone ($699). About $55 give or take, depending on the rate in your area.

The only thing that surprised me was they guy at Best Buy gave me a "Deer in the headlights" look when I asked for the sim card from my old phone, and that I wanted to wipe the phone before I left. It wasn't a problem of course, he just wasn't used to hearing these requests. Evidently, folks are so excited about getting their hands on the 5, they just hand their old phones over no questions asked! I didn't feel comfortable doing this, not knowing where my phone would end up or in who's hands. The guy said the sims are deactivated and useless anyway, and that they would wipe the phone for me. At first I said no, but he suggested I at least go home and restore the new 5 with my pc or cloud backup, then if all went well I could come back and request to personally wipe my phone. Turns out they hold on to the old phones for 30 days for this reason. They'll also transfer your stuff to the new phone for you if you want, but I didn't have time so I agreed to come back. But I did leave with my old sim just to be on the safe side. From what I hear, this promotion ends Saturday (today) at the close of business.