What's new

iPhone talks to you out of the blue?

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Today I had the weirdest experience, My iPhone 6 spoke to me for no reason, This happened two or three times.

After digging around in Google i discovered that this is a quirk of the "Hey Siri" feature and only happens when the phone is plugged in.
It picks up sounds that may be in the room, In my case I think it was the tv and misinterprets it as a command.

It would be interesting to know if this has happened to anyone else and how you reacted.

It's happened a few times when listening to audio books on my iPad with the plugged in iPhone right next to it. It was quite startling the first time it happened.

Its funny really isn't it, I sat there looking around the room to see where the disembodied voice came from.

Happened to me as well. In my house alone, TV a was on, and Siri says, "I can do that". Freaked me out a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happened to me as well. In my house alone, TV a was on, and Siri says, "I can do that". Freaked me out a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine said..."Ivy I didn't hear what you said".......

Last edited:
I have the TV on while I sleep. It's background noise and apparently easy for me to ignore. Around 3am one night Siri piped up and that woke me up immediately. Very startled. Good thing I had not changed the voice to a male voice. I probably would have had a heart attack.
You can turn the Hey Siri function off.

Thanks bear, I decided to leave "Hey Siri" on as its useful and once I realised what it was I found it amusing.
I turn my phone off before I go to sleep so no chance of it waking me up.

True story. A former girlfriend of mine had Siri speak up while eating dinner. Siri said "I'm sorry Diane, I can't seem to locate your mother." This was exactly to the day, a year after her mother passed away.