What's new

iPhone sync deleted Windows Explorer Favorites

sheppjg

Reaction score
I plugged my iPhone 4S into the USB port on my Windows 7 Workstation and was told there were iTunes updates available, which I OKed, assuming these were things to be updated on the iPhone. One of the menus asked If I wanted to delete "bookmarks." I assumed this referred to my bookmarks on the books accessed from the iPhone via Kindle on the iPhone, never dreaming that it referred to the "Favorites" on my Windows IE 8, so I OKed that also. My Windows IE 8 Favorites (I had a WHOLE LOT of them) had vanished next time I opened it.

After thrashing around and wasting a lot of time, I found that my current user Favorites folder had a restore-to-earlier-version option. Now I have most of my Favorites back.

Do any of you know of other ways in which linking my iPhone to my Windows computer can destroy things on my Windows computer?

I plugged my iPhone 4S into the USB port on my Windows 7 Workstation and was told there were iTunes updates available, which I OKed, assuming these were things to be updated on the iPhone. One of the menus asked If I wanted to delete "bookmarks." I assumed this referred to my bookmarks on the books accessed from the iPhone via Kindle on the iPhone, never dreaming that it referred to the "Favorites" on my Windows IE 8, so I OKed that also. My Windows IE 8 Favorites (I had a WHOLE LOT of them) had vanished next time I opened it.

After thrashing around and wasting a lot of time, I found that my current user Favorites folder had a restore-to-earlier-version option. Now I have most of my Favorites back.

Do any of you know of other ways in which linking my iPhone to my Windows computer can destroy things on my Windows computer?

Don't ya just hate iTunes because of this? Always asks these kinda questions and no one ever knows what it's referring to. You either ok or refuse but either way it's the wrong way. iTunes is so encrypted its unreal.

iHolophyte

Yeah, I wish iTunes gave the options as: Do you want to move contacts/photos/music/apps/etc from "there" to "here"? Yes/No Do you want to leave it/them alone? Yes/No

Maybe they need a simplified version for us technologically challenged peeps and a tougher version for the ones that "get it" LOL!

I don't think it has anything to do with being technologically savvy or not. I'm in the computer tech field and I also think iTunes is alien. Great phone, lousy software interface that they seem to refuse to be willing to revamp.

I don't think it has anything to do with being technologically savvy or not. I'm in the computer tech field and I also think iTunes is alien. Great phone, lousy software interface that they seem to refuse to be willing to revamp.

Totally agree with this quote. But as many claim, apple are the masters of the universe so what they say goes!
And why does my iPhone keep changing so to do? Another annoying field! I have to keep modifying ever reply I do.

iHolophyte

Don't ya just hate iTunes because of this? Always asks these kinda questions and no one ever knows what it's referring to. You either ok or refuse but either way it's the wrong way. iTunes is so encrypted its unreal.

iHolophyte

Whoa.. iHolo... I thought you were an iTunes apologist! JK! Me, I stay away from iTunes as much as possible. I'd love to update my iPhone iOS 4.1 to the latest version, but I just don't trust iTunes to do it without messing up. I even hate to plug my device to my PC, thinking that iTunes is bound and determined to erase my Contacts as it has before. I'm just waiting for Nov 2012 when I'll get my iPhone 5 and will be able to experiment with my current device in iTunes with impunity!

Whoa.. iHolo... I thought you were an iTunes apologist! JK! Me, I stay away from iTunes as much as possible. I'd love to update my iPhone iOS 4.1 to the latest version, but I just don't trust iTunes to do it without messing up. I even hate to plug my device to my PC, thinking that iTunes is bound and determined to erase my Contacts as it has before. I'm just waiting for Nov 2012 when I'll get my iPhone 5 and will be able to experiment with my current device in iTunes with impunity!

Ha ha. If I was the inventor of iTunes I'd have made it idiot proof!
I can't wait until you get the iPhone 5 then you can tell us all how iTunes works (laughs out loud)

iHolophyte

As long as you don’t disable the automatic sync option in iTunes, it will automatically generate a backup for your iOS device when you plug your device into your Mac or PC, and the backup file updates along with your every sync. So it is certainly sure and easy to restore iPhone from iTunes backup with iPhone data recovery. That is, you can recover your iPhone/iPad/iPod data from the recent iTunes backup whenever the data is missing.