What's new

iphone stops downloading why?

webwarrior

Reaction score
ok so like the title says. can someone tell me what i need to do so that my iphone will continue to download large files? here is my problem i download alot of movies everyday on my current phone. when i download them on my current phone the files continue to download even when my phone is off. or should i say my screen is off. but it seems with my iphone the downloads stops mins after the screen is shut off. most of the time im downloading more than 1 movie at a time so the files can take as much as 1-2 hours. is there a setting i am missing so that my iphone will not stop while the screen is off? hopefully someone has an answer because this is a dealbreaker for me.

Are you downloading on battery power or is the iPhone plugged into the charger?
If you're on iOS 10 you could go to Settings>Display & Brightness>Auto Lock and set the time to never, that way your iPhone would not go to sleep and lose the WiFi connection, thereby stopping the download.

If you're plugged into the charger the iPhone won't go to sleep and the WiFi connection will be maintained even if Aoto Lock is set to a set number of minutes.

Is your current phone an iPhone? If not, that could explain why it continues to download after the screen turns off.

If you're downloading movies from iTunes, an alternative is to download them to iTunes on your computer first and then sync them to your iPhone.

im usually away from my home on 4glte (no wifi) and i don't want my screen on all the time. is there another way? also i don't see why it should stop. i never told the phone to stop. it should just keep downloading all my older phones don't see to have this problem only my iphone.

If you have your iPhone plugged in it won't go to sleep, which turns off WiFi and stops the download. This is a battery saving feature built into iOS.

Let us know what happens when you try downloading while plugged in.