What's new

iPhone SE 2020. Unexpected App update

coopern

Reaction score
iPhone 5s iOS 12.5. iOS updates and App updates disabled in settings for months.

A few days ago I noticed that my VLC app had unexpectedly updated from v3.2.12 to 3.3.7, despite iOS and app updates being disabled. Can anyone explain why?

Ps I know I can revert to VLC 3.2.12 using itunes but I do not need advice on that thanks.

Neil

This was manually updated to iOS 15.6 a week ago. Auto updates for iOS and apps are disabled and have been for months.

I noticed a few days ago that my VLC app had been unexpectedly updated from 3.2.12 to 3.3.7. I had not updated it myself and did not want the update.

Does anyone know why this update to VLC might have happened?
Does updating iOS also update Apps?

Thanks,. Neil

Are you saying it could be finger trouble on my part?

Ok. But if knew what caused it I wouldn't be asking on here!

Good question . Yes, an old 5s and my new SE , VLC on both unexpectedly updated from old versions to latest. But the phones have completely different apple IDs.

My pc has 2 independent installs of win10, one runs iTunes 12.6 and the other the latest iTunes. I sometimes use the new iTunes for both phones, but I can only use the old iTunes with the 5s. Using the old iTunes I can revert latest VLC to my previous version using an old .ipa file, it works fine. But i really want to know why these updates have occurred to prevent it in future.

There's a slight chance the unexpected VLC update on the SE was due to finger trouble. But on the 5s the auto update settings have been disabled for ages and no way did I manually perform an update of VLC.

Thanks

Last edited:
I‘ve merged both threads, so that the information is in one thread only. It will be easier to find the solution.

The latest VLC update was 2 months ago when it was updated to version 3.3.7. Was it still on version 3.3.6 until you noticed the change a few days ago?

The last time I used VLC on the SE was about 3 weeks ago and I'm fairly certain it was v3.2,13 because the user interface was familiar.

I'm going to assume that finger trouble was the reason for the update on the SE. But that doesn't explain VLC updating itself on my 5s which has had auto updates disabled for ever. The two devices have completely different apple IDs.

Last edited:
Thanks for helping. I've concluded that vlc on the 5s was accidentally updated when using iTunes, and on my SE it was automatically updated when the auto slider was in the enabled position. As I can't revert to the old version of vlc on the SE I'll have to get used to it.