What's new

iphone ipod shuffle

Chuck_bigalo

Reaction score
I'm curious to see if anyone can offer some help. I have a 3gs that is jailbroke. Is the an app or a setting that could possibly give me a better shuffle option? I have a collection of about 800 songs right now and it always seems like I hear the same line up of songs. No matter how many times I go back and shuffle again.

Another problem I could use some help with. When I plug my iphone into itunes, what's the quickest way to solve the first pop up telling me there are songs that can't be found on my computer and won't be synced to my phone.

Any help would be much appreciated.

1) perhaps you just have a smaller list of songs and the same ones get chosen when shuffling often........Or ............Did you check to make sure there are no duplicates?

2) I had this problem where iTunes did not have songs on my PC that were on my phone. In order to fix that those songs listed will have to be somehwere on your computer. And it does not matter where thay are. They just have to be somewhere.

I fixed this by using i-FunBox and dragging the said missing songs from iPhone to a folder on my desktop. Once the songs were on my desktop, that iTunes message never showed again.

I'm curious to see if anyone can offer some help. I have a 3gs that is jailbroke. Is the an app or a setting that could possibly give me a better shuffle option? I have a collection of about 800 songs right now and it always seems like I hear the same line up of songs. No matter how many times I go back and shuffle again.

I have the same issue with "shuffle". I don't have a huge library of songs, but even using the shuffle it seems to play the same lineup each time. If I specifically choose a different song I haven't heard in a while, it seems to shuffle them differently though. I'd like to hear if anyone has a fix for this too.

xrayeyes said:
I have the same issue with "shuffle". I don't have a huge library of songs, but even using the shuffle it seems to play the same lineup each time. If I specifically choose a different song I haven't heard in a while, it seems to shuffle them differently though. I'd like to hear if anyone has a fix for this too.

This never happens to me. I always here a different song every time and I only have 100 something songs in my playlist.

Whenever you open the Music app and play music, tap the screen so the scrubbing bar comes down.

There are 2 symbols below that bar. A shuffle on the right and a repeat on the left.

I think the only reason this is happening to you guys is because you only have shuffle on and not repeat.

If you turn on repeat it will repeat the playlist. It only repeats one song when you tap it twice.

This has to be why, because when the repeat is on it cannot repeat the playlist unless it plays every single song first. When it's off it just shuffles endlessly to any random song whether it already played it or not.

I don't know why on earth I did not think of this earlier, but I was just listening music and it dawned on me.

Make sure to turn shuffle and repeat on.

The repeat will only repeat the playlist you are listening to. It will only repeat one song if you tap the button twice. When you tap the repeat button twice, a small "1" appears In the symbols lower left side.

Give that a try.

I have looked everywhere, but I can't find the "repeat" option. I know I had it at one time, but I wonder if one of the iOS updates removed it? I have looked everywhere! I still have shuffle, but no repeat!

xrayeyes said:
I have looked everywhere, but I can't find the "repeat" option. I know I had it at one time, but I wonder if one of the iOS updates removed it? I have looked everywhere! I still have shuffle, but no repeat!

Huh?

There is not 2 icons in the music app where it shows the album art and media controls when you tap the album art.

Like this:

2f5d1b13.jpg
?

1) perhaps you just have a smaller list of songs and the same ones get chosen when shuffling often........Or ............Did you check to make sure there are no duplicates?

2) I had this problem where iTunes did not have songs on my PC that were on my phone. In order to fix that those songs listed will have to be somehwere on your computer. And it does not matter where thay are. They just have to be somewhere.

I fixed this by using i-FunBox and dragging the said missing songs from iPhone to a folder on my desktop. Once the songs were on my desktop, that iTunes message never showed again.

Yeah I have no duplicates, took care of that with tune up.

I pull most of my music off my external and transfer it to my iphone. I will try and see if transferring it to the computer, unplugging, and trying to transfer to the iphone. Thanks for the help.

I will give the repeat button a try, I hope it works. It gets real annoying constantly shuffling to hear something different with over 800 hundred songs to listen to.

Ah, I was double tapping the album art, which flips the screen to reveal a rating system. Will give the repeat, shuffle a try..

Most times Apple is really good at what they do, but sometimes they suck...this is one of those times. It's not very intuitive at all to have to go through that just to shuffle songs more effectively!

Last edited:
Huh, now this is wierd. When I tap the screen and it reveals the shuffle and repeat and song lenght, it states a list above it, ie.. 1 of 30. Then if I find another song, it seems to bring up another set, ie. 1 of 31. I don't have my songs in any playlist at all, but I wonder if this has something to do with playing the same set over and over again. How can I find out what these "sets" are?

I have a total of 157 songs in my ipod, so why doesn't it say 1 of 157?

Hope I"m not hijacking your thread Chuck, but this may be your issue too?

xrayeyes said:
Ah, I was double tapping the album art, which flips the screen to reveal a rating system. Will give the repeat, shuffle a try..

Most times Apple is really good at what they do, but sometimes they suck...this is one of those times. It's not very intuitive at all to have to go through that just to shuffle songs more effectively!

Idk man, I thought they have it working quite well.

I just wish you could choose to shuffle all Music when you tap on a song in an album.

But that's okay. I thought they got it working fine really.

What I'm saying is that why make it so hard to find and figure this out? There is a shuffle option at the top of the song list, shouldn't the repeat option be there as well???

Anyway, I've got to figure out why I have these song "sets" and how to fix that. I would bet that is why I'm having the issue. Something in iTunes I'm sure.

xrayeyes said:
What I'm saying is that why make it so hard to find and figure this out? There is a shuffle option at the top of the song list, shouldn't the repeat option be there as well???

Anyway, I've got to figure out why I have these song "sets" and how to fix that. I would bet that is why I'm having the issue. Something in iTunes I'm sure.

I really don't think it was hard to figure it out. When I got my first iDevice ever, the iPod 4G when it just came out it took me a day or so to figure how to use the shuffle/repeat options. Plus I actually read the manuals ........for the things
I wanted to know. I mean you can download the user guide from iBooks. And there is even a default bookmark in Safari for the user guide. Why does everyone always forget there is a user guide. Lol.

However I didn't have to read the user guide to figure that out, but I read some of it any way. Because why not.

Apple does repeat/shuffle function like most other mp3 players do. Even dumb simple ones. I would go through 3 mp3 players every 5 or 6 months before I got my iPod because well I'm poor, and had to just keep buying cheap mp3 players. But from that, I have gathered the repeat/shuffle functions are "almost" the same in all mp3 players. Even Apple's iPhone.

Too were probably use to another method on a different device?

Last edited:
I finally figured out my issue with shuffle. Right clicking on each song and choosing "Get Info". For some reason "Remember Playback Position" and "Skip When Shuffling" were enabled on 126 of 157 songs! So, when I enabled "shuffle" it only showed 30 songs. At least that is what I'm guessing happened. I went through each and every song and unchecked those options and now shuffle works for me through my whole song list.

I don't know why those options were enabled and in some songs and not others. I'm sure Zig will tell me it's something I did and should have known better... LOL! (I guess I'm one of those darn ole' farts that don't know how to use a simple mp3 player you know) :p

PS... I am not a computer illiterate, but this IS my first iPhone/iPod... Some of us grew up with vinyl ya know! :)

Last edited:
xrayeyes said:
I finally figured out my issue with shuffle. Right clicking on each song and choosing "Get Info". For some reason "Remember Playback Position" and "Skip When Shuffling" were enabled on 126 of 157 songs! So, when I enabled "shuffle" it only showed 30 songs. At least that is what I'm guessing happened. I went through each and every song and unchecked those options and now shuffle works for me through my whole song list.

I don't know why those options were enabled and in some songs and not others. I'm sure Zig will tell me it's something I did and should have known better... LOL! (I guess I'm one of those darn ole' farts that don't know how to use a simple mp3 player you know) :p

PS... I am not a computer illiterate, but this IS my first iPhone/iPod... Some of us grew up with vinyl ya know! :)

Actually I was not going to say near anything you assumed I was going to say.

I do not assume that someone is illiterate in any aspect just because they didn't know to look for a certain thing right away. (I mean unless they really say some funny stuff).

I know i would not have figured that out any faster then you did. not unless I got lucky or something.

I had no idea iTuns had such settings for individual songs in iTunes.

Tho never really needed to look for them either.