What's new

iPhone imei impact on 4g?

Xajin

Reaction score
Hi new community,

I recently bought the new iphone5 off of Craigslist and cut my old iPhone 4S sim to fit the nano slim slot of the iPhone 5. I did this as a temporary fix (it works great) to wait on getting a legitimate nano sim from AT&T. When I walked into AT&T I was told to provide my imei of my iphone5, I didn't have it on me and he told me that I needed it to access the 4g network.

So here's my question. My iphone5 currently shows the 4g logo and I am able to surf around and download apps. How do I know if that is really 4g, and not 3G or even E? It seems fast to me but the AT&T rep got me questioning. If I did not register my IMEI number through AT&T, does it really prevent me from accessing 4g or have any other limitations?

Hi new community,

I recently bought the new iphone5 off of Craigslist and cut my old iPhone 4S sim to fit the nano slim slot of the iPhone 5. I did this as a temporary fix (it works great) to wait on getting a legitimate nano sim from AT&T. When I walked into AT&T I was told to provide my imei of my iphone5, I didn't have it on me and he told me that I needed it to access the 4g network.

So here's my question. My iphone5 currently shows the 4g logo and I am able to surf around and download apps. How do I know if that is really 4g, and not 3G or even E? It seems fast to me but the AT&T rep got me questioning. If I did not register my IMEI number through AT&T, does it really prevent me from accessing 4g or have any other limitations?

Welcome to the Forum. Since I'm not with AT&T I can't say what type of 4G you are getting. With Verizon we have LTE and I know AT&T does too, just don't know if thats what you have. But it's definitely some form of 4G.

You know you can get that number he wanted off of iTunes, right? It's in Edit/Preference/Device and you move your cursor over your phone and you will see it there. Briefly. You may have to look at it a few times to get the whole number.

He's probably making sure that the phone is not stolen, or a phone that someone broke a contract on.

On the phone Settings > General > About gives you the IMEI if you dont happen to have your PC with Itunes on it with you when you are asked for it

Thanks, I didn't know that. I was told this method from Asuriion. I knew there had to be an easier way.